Custom displays are gone

As per title.
All my custom shading modes are gone and those existing were restored to defaults.
Nothing triggered this: no crash, no power cut, no software or system updates.

No way. I shut Rhino yesterday normally, opened today and noticed changes.

Do you have TimeMachine backups of your ~/Library/Preferences/com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist? Can you rewind a week (or two) and see if those custom display modes are in that .plist?

Hi Dan
Sorry for late response.
I couldn’t find such file in a system.

Well, I guess the most important question is: Do you have TimeMachine enabled? If not, there’s little hope of recovering the earlier version of the Rhino for Mac preferences files.

If the answer is yes, then do this…

1. Quit Rhino.
  2. In Finder, navigate to to Go menu and select Go to Folder…
  3. In the Go to Folder dialog, paste in: ~/Library/Preferences/
  4. In the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder, scroll down until you see com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist
  5. Hold down the option and drag com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist to your Desktop (to make a backup copy.
  6. In Finder make sure the Finder window on ~/Library/Preferences is active.
  7. Now, enter Time Machine. If you don’t see Time Machine in the top-right menu bar, use Spotlight to launch the Time Machine app.
  8. With the com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist selected, rewind time about 7-8 days. Restore that version of the .plist.
  9. Launch Rhino.

Are you custom display settings back? If not, you might need to rewind farther.

If all of this fails, then you still have a copy of your preferences from today on your desktop which can be replaced (best to have Rhino closed when you do this).

Hi Dan

I’m sorry you must have misunderstood me. There is no such file at the
location you’ve pointed out.
I see a bunch of adobe plist files, one microsoft, no McNeel at all.
Is it normal?

PS i have no experience in handling macs, I am on a PC side.

Piotr Słojka
Architect SAR.MSA

Obrońców Westerplatte 22/2A, 80-317 Gdańsk Oliwa, PL
Finboda Parkväg 18C, lgh. 71, 131 73 Nacka, SE

+46 707879391

No. It is not normal. Can you please try one more thing for me? I want to see if you have this file at all (I don’t know how Rhino would save any preferences without this file).

1. Launch Terminal (you can use Command+space and search for it).
  2. At the prompt, type: cd / followed by enter
  3. At the prompt, type: sudo find . -name com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist -type f and press enter
  4. You will be prompted for your administrator password. Type that in (this allows you to search system folders).
  5. Wait…this operation can take a while…it should spit out some bogus output like:
find: ./private/var/db/ConfigurationProfiles/Store: Operation not permitted

but it should eventually print out something like this:

./Users/dan/Library/Preferences/com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist
./Users/belcher/Library/Preferences/com.mcneel.rhinoceros.plist

If it doesn’t find the .plist file, then we need to talk more :wink: because I have no clue how you ever saved any preferences in the first place.

The folder “Library” could be named in your local language, in my case it is “Bibliotheek” (Dutch). “Preferences” etc. is in English. Since Piotr is Polish (I guess) it might be different for him too. But he is finding other plists, so he may have found that already.

Max.

My system in English and, occasionally, Swedish.
I’ve found the preferences folder, but no mcneel file was there.
I’ve already contacted IT guy to help me navigate and get admins access.