Crêpes Measure using Galapagos

This is a measuring cup for making crêpes, with seven cups for the various ingredients. The design was optimised using Galapagos, so that the result is a cube with no wasted plastic. This is not a general purpose measure…but why would one make anything but crêpes?

CrepesCube3.gh (60.2 KB)

32 Likes

In case someone actually cares, amounts in ccs:

Flour 177
Milk 157
Water 79
Sugar 36
Vanilla 18
Baking Powder 6
Salt 3
Two Eggs

Mix it all up, perhaps adding the Milk last so that it is easier to get rid of lumps. Very hot frying pan, buttered for each crêpe.

If you change anything, disable all the components to the right before running the Galapagos model. On my machine, it took a couple of hours to completely stabilize.

4 Likes

I feel sad that vanilla is mandatory in your recipe.
I’m from Brittany, home of the “crêpes”. Best to put vanilla at leisure just before the cook (it could be any yummy thing…like rhum (crêpes suzette)
A raw crêpe is quite simple and got (nearly) no sugar or add-in flavour before to cook it
Anyway your design and use of Galapagos is very cool

I apologise for my culinary misdemeanors! I blame my mother, whose recipe this was!

In practice, we always add fruit, and my girlfriend likes Grand-Marnier!

The ingredients and proportions can of course be changed. The design issue was to arrange that each of the compartments had the correct volume. Increasing one manually decreases the neighbours and changes the total volume. Galapagos worked this out quite well, although the solution converged very slowly.

This is, of course, a somewhat tongue-in-cheek idea. The idea of a one-recipe measure is somewhat ridiculous, although this way, you don’t need to consult a book each time!

2 Likes

Hi there,
sorry too: a crêpe “suzette” is indeed with Grand-Marnier…not rhum
I apologise too
Cheers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should absolutely get these machined or injection molded and turn them into a product… perfect stocking stuffer

1 Like

This is a thing of beauty! Really a fantastic concept. I love the idea of a kitchen cabinet of little measuring cubes with recipes written on the side. If only PLA were food safe :frowning:

I got this printed with “Multi Jet Fusion plastic PA12 with glass beads”, which I believe to be food safe. It is supposed to be waterproof, although I find it gets stained by oil and butter. It was more expensive than the basic plastic print. This was done at Shapeways.

The cost is completely prohibitive for commercial production, at $60, which is an amount that only makes sense for the fun of it. Injection molding is out of my skill set.

Bob

Last time I looked Shapeways didn’t have anything advertised as food safe, but maybe they have added a food safe option.

I have had some good luck with casting from prints using silicone molds (~$20-30 to make a small mold). You could then cast your final version using food safe resins. If you kept wall thickness around 1.75-2mm you could make this design pretty inexpensively.

If you ever do decide to dip your toes into IM, Formlabs now has some resins that can be used for making molds for short runs of injected molded parts (~50-500). The cost may still be too high, plus there is a learning curve and the difficulty of finding a place that will run parts for you in low volumes.

Joel

1 Like

If it is of any help, my 49 year old crèpe recipe says

• 1/2 liter milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 125 grams of flower
  • pinch of salt

That’s it… But of course types of crepe will change ingredients…
A pancake, tortilla (and middle eastern variations) or the salty crepe Bretonne or the fluffy German lemon crepe will differ…

1 Like

You could check on https://www.xometry.com/. There you can get instant quotes on injection molding and I know they have a lot of different materials for 3D printing as well.

Meanwhile there are quite a few food safe 3D printing filaments: The Essential Guide to Food Safe 3D Printing

2 Likes