Creating smooth meshes from pipes, like TSpipe had in Tsplines?

Amazing work! When will this be released??

Following :slight_smile:

Who thought it was possible to fall in love with a video !!
Incredible work !
Maybe a way to set sharp edge on specifics ones could be nice too…

Absolutely great tool! As it seems to me (from the video) a lot functionality that seems valuable in such a tool is already implemented.
Really helpful is that you can distinguish between “surface” and wire frame (like marked in the picture) from closes polyline loops. How would the user make this differentiation?
One think that could be great if you are able to scale “surfaces” really thin, based on their “Normals”… A grasshopper component would be awesome… chrome_2018-11-08_14-13-25

“Maybe a way to set sharp edge on specifics ones could be nice too…”

Sharp edges are usually defined by edge loop density. Typically the user would add more edge loops where they want more sharpness.

Hi Michael, that’s what we do today in Modo. It works very well, but in a linear and uneditable fashion. I hope Daniel can come up with a better way so we can procedurally modify the skeleton polylines and the model updates while maintaining the sharpness/roundness/circular sections we defined.

Grasshopper allows anything to be editable after the fact. In fact, for mesh there is already an edge loop component in the mesh tools plugin.

Hello Daniel,

I’m Albert Li, an Ameba’s developer and your fans^_^. I have a question about extracting skeleton lines from a 3d mesh model. Do you have some research about it? Could you please share your opinion in this problem?

Best Regards,
Albert Li

what about opensubdiv/sharp edges:
http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/docs/subdivision_surfaces.html#semi-sharp-creases

Hi Albert,

I did look at some approaches for automatically finding a medial axis or skeleton for 3d shapes, as it could be nice to not have to manually draw these.
My impression from what I’ve seen so far though is that it is quite tricky to get a very clean skeleton from arbitrary geometry with any totally automated technique, as even small bumps in the mesh result in extra branches in the skeleton, and even if these can be ‘pruned’ the result still often doesn’t match what you would draw manually with knowledge of the real structure of what the shape actually represents. So for the kind of applications I was looking at it didn’t seem so promising.

However, if this is in relation to your topology optimisation work these automated techniques might be suitable, if you know the inputs will be smooth and of similar type. Maybe something voxel based like this?

2 Likes

Thanks so much. we are developing a series of conponents about voxel. That is a good enlightenment!

1 Like

Hi @DanielPiker
I have started playing around with the released skeleton fattener gh component and I love it!
it seems though that the ability to distinguish between curves and surfaces as per the screenshot above didn’t make it in the final plug-in.
Any hard reason for this?
would be very helful!!
Greetings from Berlin,

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,
Good to hear that. It takes lines, polylines and quad mesh faces, not surfaces.

:man_facepalming:! Of course!
Thanks a lot for the answer Daniel!

There is another method for skeletonization that seems more straight forward when using spectral analysis which means computing laplace beltrami operator of the mesh:

1 Like

Really useful, thanks so much!

hello Daniel,
just found this tread, very interesting!
I downloaded your examples but I cannot get it to work like you do in your video, all I have archived so far is right click on the first curve node and assign an existing line or lines , which are then generated into the “solids”. How can I archive this interactive behaviour like in your video where you dynamically draw new lines which are then directly added ?
best

Andreas

hi Daniel. What’s the link to the specific plugin download for the exoskeleton SubD thing here?

Look here

2 Likes

Can show me some of yours images ?
–skeleton & fattener—
Thanks