Creating Continuous Flow Wall Pattern

Hi All – I’m trying to create a horizontal wall pattern that flows along (curved and planar) walls in Revit. I’ll do this by placing an Adaptive Component family (all set here, this works), but I’m looking for a bit of help in creating the pattern, as it changes based on Openings and Inserts (i.e. Doors, etc.). I’m using the Wall Location Curve in relation to the Floor outlines to obtain the initial curve that I want, and was planning to offset this in the Z-direction at varying heights. The issue is that I don’t want there to be a curve running through any openings or doors, but instead to flow above them as the curve approaches.

Here’s a screenshot of the desired outcome (based on Detail Lines currently drawn) – note just the highlighted bit is what I’m after, where the curve adjusts based on openings / doors approached:

Currently, this is what I’m achieving based on the curves obtained:

And here’s the canvas:

I’ve got Breps set for the Openings and Inserts, so could use those in some way? Just wasn’t sure where to go from here. TIA!

hello
you can use offset and scale NU

Or use a field

1 Like

Hi @laurent_delrieu – thank you for your reply! Would you mind sending a closer screenshot or copy of the script where you’re using Scale NU? I’ll have a look at the field post you added as well – ideally, the curve that goes along the top of the opening would be flat instead of ‘draping’. Is that possible in your proposed method?

Here is the file
Scale NU, offset, Scale NU, offset +, Offset -

offset on doors.gh (13.1 KB)

Play with the sliders that will show you the variations
Better use Tween if you want a straight portion. And if the lower curve as no real logic, better model it with Rhino then use Tween.

Hi Laurent – thank you for sending through. Sadly, I think this is not what I’m after. When I input the curve geometry that I have from the walls into the Scale NU component, they jump away. Is what you’ve proposed more for a 2D pattern, instead of a 3D scenario?

If you can internalize the geometry (no RiR, or other plugins) and post the gh file we can take a look.

If you aren’t familiar with internalizing geometry … for curves place a curve component in-line and right click internalize, same thing for breps, etc… Then copy the remaining definition to a new file and save.

Hi @Japhy – this is working off of live Revit walls, should I just bake them into Rhino and internalise that way? That changes the first part of the script a bit, but if the approach is the same, then I’ll do that and upload.

Internalizing the Breps (you can’t internalize Revit Elements) would suffice. In your case you are getting a particular surface as well, correct?

Hello, maybe this?

offset on doors- FLEXIBILITY.gh (18.0 KB)