Create component accessing sliders similar to Galapagos

Hey All,

i am working on a component (in c#) which allows to sample threw the parameter-room of a parametric model - in context of parameter-room exploration.
There for I get all used slider and manipulate them in order to get a set of input vectors normal distributed over the parameter-room and store the output of the model.
In the moment I use the sketchy approach of getting sliders by there nicknames which works but is not great in case of usability.

Sorry for the long intro :wink: :
I would like to create inputs working similar to the Galapagos-Input creating a fake wire to the slider but in fact getting the instance as object for the script. Has anybody done something similar before ? Or did anybody reverse engineer Galapagos ? Or has a hint in the SDK where to look ?

Goal would be:

Attaching wire to sliders (like the Galapagos Gene Input)
Render custom wire (Therefore I found some stuff in the forum - but maybe there is a better way in connecting all three parts)
Get the instance of the connected sliders

I am happy for any help.

Kind Regards

Tobi

Lot of code involved doing it the Galapagos way. There have been discussions about it on the forum before, but can’t remember if I ever uploaded any code. Reverse engineering the galapagos plugin may be the best way to see how it was done. You have my permission to do so.

2 Likes

Hi Tobi,

Have a look at this GitHub project, specifically Grasshopper_InOut.cs.
It uses ordinary connections instead of the “fancy” wires, but it’s a start.
The “fancy” wires are a lot of work, because they require pretty deep changes relative to Grasshopper.

Cheers,
Thomas

Hi David, Hi Thomas,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply and for your open help !

I think I will work in 2 or 3 steps:

1. I will try to use the Frog setup to get things working
  2. In longterm i will try to understand the reverse engineered Galapagos… :wink:

Again thank you both a lot ! I will keep this up to date with my kind of solution.

And maybe I will have to ask a bit more where to find this or that when
I have digged deeper in the code :wink:

1 Like