Could the WIN UI be like the MAC as default?

WinRhino has been my main modelling program since 1997. I’ve been using both Win and Mac since the Mac beta days - and almost only MacRhino since 2018. While I do like the cleaner and more minimalist MacRhino UI, I would love to have the command line from WinRhino (on top), the toolbars on the left in two columns (not four!) - and ortho, planar, smart track, etc. on the bottom like in WinRhino. Then the two versions would look almost the same.

I would like to have a PopUp toolbar like in WinRhino (please!) - and a similar, simple way of editing toolbars. Editing toolbars on the Mac is too complex and not very intuitive…

I’d like to have resizing the viewports work like in WinRhino (the horizontal borders also snapping to each other) - and stick between sessions and files.

I’d also like to have coloured icons (instead of the black and white ones) on top of the inspector and properties panels. That would improve readability and not sacrifice ergonomics for minimalism

Not UI issues, but…
I feel that there are more sporadic, unrepeatable bugs on the Mac (for instance osnaps refusing to snap until you change viewports back and forth).
And of course: worksessions, worksessions, worksessions…

Philip

2 Likes

Wait, what?
I am not used to working with Rhino in MAC at all but I am using most of the time Rhino solely with the command line, as you are simply much faster. Are you telling me now that this does not even exist in Rhino for Mac or are you discussing something totally different?

wow … what is it?

Do you have some Zbrush integrations?

That is correct. What MacRhino has is called CommandSearch. Typing commands brings up a box (can be floating or docked on the left side); you can choose from the autocomplete or just type out the command and Enter, once the command is launched, all the options are in another popup box, again either docked on the left side or floating. The options are presented as a series of buttons, checkboxes or text/number fields. In general single letter keypresses plus enter will activate the same “command line” options as in Windows Rhino.

It works similarly to the Windows Rhino command line in a lot of ways, but is not exactly the same thing. You can do everything the command line normally does in Rhino for Windows, but the layout and part graphic/part text presentation is different.

Long story short / the Mac version is completely unusable for me.
I could live with the options on the side and with the inflexibility of arranging tools.
But what annoys the most is the pop- up menu coming in lines and the complicated way to customize the buttons ( talking about putting different tools on one button at l/r click) the non-editability of the icons Grafically, and a lot of other little workflow related issues.
Solution for all teachers out there: advice your students to run Windows 10 on their macs in parallel and use the win version. Big advantage to students : they ll gain a lot of speed while working with win rhino.
The Mac version is far behind

I wish I had…
there’s a couple of solutions offered in the forum [search for GoZ]
but as they are Windows only, I couldn’t test them.
I only have an export Macro on a button that will send an .obj with enough topology so it is comfortable to work from in Zb
[ if you export from a SubD object then you’ll get perfect quads mesh that you can directly work on, saving some process and time in Zb]

Akash

would it be possible for you to consider that most of these things you say are only true from your perspective and what you are used to?
The big deal limitations that are still there on the Mac version has more to do with the lack of [most] Plugins support.

True, there are some UI limitations, but they are not a deal breaker, and there is a performance issue that will be resolved in the future once support of Mac technology [Metal, M1] will be completed [we hope in V8]

Akash

1 Like

True can be possible, for me its a dealbreaker in terms of convenience at least the Mac version.
I use the program heavily now since RH2 . Of course I am used to it as it evolved version after version.
Some of my collegues customized their toolbars even more - I am sure it feels the same for them.
Plug-ins is really not my issue.
I use it as it is and export files to render programs.
For my it was always the most convenient solution - in terms of system stability, cost and performance.
And I just don’t understand why it was changed for MAC, because it was brilliant as it was.

Rhino 6 ran poorly if at all and Rhino 7 never ran right under Parallels, due to the level of OpenGL supported by Parallels up to version 15. The latest version of Parallels (16) claims to have support for OpenGL 3.3 and their promotional material specifically claims that Rhino 6 will run on it. Rhino 7 uses even newer features of OpenGL and so most likely will not run under Parallels. The only solution, as I understand it, is to run Windows 10 through Bootcamp, with the annoyance of having to reboot back and forth whenever a change in OS is desired.

Thanks for the tipps / bootcamp is exactly what I will try, I ll keep you updated how it works.