Could NURBS surface be changed to plane surface?

Hello,

I created one complex geometry of plane surface, but it had a lot of gaps between each plane surface. So I converted the geometry into mesh, and I filled the gaps. But I wanted the filled mesh geometry to have surfaces rather than mesh. So I converted the mesh geometry into NURBS surfaces. However, the geometry has had a lot of NURBS surfaces rather than plane surface. I was just wondering if the NURBS surfaces could be changed to plane surface without the gaps.

Thank you

Hi Zas,

I bet there is way to fill those gaps without converting to a mesh. Could you share some screenshots and/or a 3dm file?

With that said, it’s easy to go from NURBS to Mesh but it’s much more difficult to go from Mesh to NURBS. The new Rhino 7 release has a command called QuadRemesh which makes it easier to convert meshes into NURBS. Here are some articles on this topic.

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/meshtonurb

MergeAllCoplanarFaces will merge all coplanar surfaces of a polysurface into single trimmed surfaces. Note that this command only works on a polysurface. Individual surfaces need to be joined into a single polysurface to use it.

It is almost always better to stay working with NURBS surfaces rather than convert to meshes if the final result needs to be NURBS.

Thank you for replying.
A file has been attached. The file has contained two surfaces which need to be joined appropriately.

File .3dm (1.3 MB)

How did you create the surfaces?

What are the constraints on the surfaces?

You can untrim the two edges where you want to join, extend both surfaces and trim again.

Hello,

Thank you very much for replying.
I tried to to do what you had told me, but it did not work straightforwardly
Could you elaborate your explanation, please?
Did you use actual “untrim” to either of Surface 1 or Surface 2, or both of them?
“Untrim” worked to Surface 2, but it did not work to Surface 1, when I tried.

Did you also use “Extend Surface” or “Trim”? I would like to get the details of how you did it.

Thank you

I untrimmed both edges and extended them by 400. I tried 200 too but that didn’t work

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you very much for making the video.
Extending the surfaces by 400 worked, interestingly.
However, how could the two edges be selected at the beginning?

Thank you

ctrl+shift+LMB

1 Like

Thank you very much for providing the helpful advice.
The problem has been solved.
Thank you

File (2).3dm (1.4 MB)

1 Like