Corrupted Geometry After Importing .DWG from Revit

Hi guys,

My first post here.Im having a problem importing an object thats been exported as .dwg(ACIS Solid) from Revit 2016.Some wild surfaces emerged from some of the Revit’s family,i noticed that these are the ‘Void’ forms in Revit.However,the same .dwg file is perfectly clean when imported into AutoCAD and 3Ds Max.As shown below.

Has anyone run into the same problem before?Any other way to import it,or perhaps a script or plugin that could assist?

i dont use revit so i have no idea what a “void” is to be honest but you can grab a few of those voids and export them as a dwg that somebody can have a look, you can simply drag and drop it into the reply panel while answering.

if autocad opens it correct i assume rhino should do either. do those voids have some transparency setting which might be ignored?

1 Like

Hi RichardZ,

Thanks for the prompt reply.Actually i have to correct my original post,after checking the geometries,the suspected geometries are not ‘void’,instead just a 2D line ‘Revit profile’ extrusion.As per photos below.So im guessing,the ‘fillet’ crvs of the profile are the ones causing the problem.

Somehow,due to your suggestion of providing the .dwg file,it triggered a REVELATION.i tried importing the file in 2 different Rhino template; Large Objects Milimeters,and Small Objects Milimeters.It turns out that the objects come in corrupted in Large Objects template,while they come in clean with Small Objects template.

Here have a try at the .dwg file.
Problem_Geometries.dwg (1.2 MB)

SOLVED.Thanks!

looks ok now at least here on my mac rhino. that this issue differs while opening it in different templates is probably something to look at, maybe @pascal?

Thanks very much RichardZ!Yes the import result differs from different templates in Rhino somehow.

Hi Mack - it looks like there are trims being missed on import - if you can make a small file from Revit that shows the problem and can post it here or to tech@mcneel.com, that would be great, otherwise, if you can share that large (I assume) file, please zip and upload it to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention (Pascal). Thanks.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal

I will send the small Revit and .dwg file to your email for your analysis.Thanks for taking this seriously.I was only trying my luck and never thought to get responses in the same day.Kudos!

Summary of my problem,in case its useful for future visitors looking for troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting.dwg (3.2 MB)

You’re a genius!

Thank you for discovering that the ‘small objects’ template leads to no errors! Spend much time repairing models that were just fine in Revit and AutoCAD. Wished I stumbled upon this topic earlier.