Corporate Rhino - Pirated SW?

I’d be far more interested in getting at the sellers rather than the buyers - but that is the hard part, because often they are not in some country where they can be touched…

However, one should also go after the host sites like ioffer, as THEY are in the US and AFAIK it is also illegal to host sales of stolen goods…

–Mitch

These sites always win and will not close down - as they hide behind the seller:

In order to substantially comply with the takedown notice provisions set forth at 17 U.S.C. Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), please forward an email to copyright@ioffer.com with the following information:

1. Identification of the specific material that is allegedly being infringed (for instance, copyright registration number or other documentation regarding the titles you claim to own or represent);
  1. Identification of the allegedly infringing or unauthorized material you seek to have removed or disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit iOffer to locate the material (i.e., specific item numbers or URLs of individual listings);
  1. A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the rights owner, its agent, or the law;
  1. A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; and
  1. Information reasonably sufficient to permit iOffer to contact you, such as an address and telephone number (in addition to email) in the event a counter-notification is received.

KeithR’s URL should be deleted.

Yes, that will solve everything. And whilst we are at it lets all bury our heads in the sand.

Great idea !

This is actually very good advice. I have sent out two or three DMCA takedown notices (from copied designs that were offered for sale) and received immediate results of deletion.

However, the sites I contacted were legit, so they were motivated to comply and avoid legal penalties. This ‘ioffer’ site may be mostly scammers and pirates, so they probably don’t care – but its always worth a shot. The DMCA form is pretty simple and boilerplate. I filled it out in 5 minutes.

UPDATE: I did a search for photoshop and after effects on the site in question. There is ZERO software listings. This tells me that Adobe has had success. I encourage McNeel to defend their IP vigorously as well.

6 Likes

I also did a bit of a search for Adobe and Autodesk, and there are several that come up telling me that the two companies may not have had much luck. (A search for CS6 has a few results)
Even AutoCAD “with a 3 year license”, Rhino “Corporate Edition”, etc

Barry.

hey all, that is a cracked copy, and embarrassing as it sounds it has caught me with my pants down. Some time back I was sold a copy of of a VERY expensive jewellery design program (of which I own two copies) that uses rhino as a base, and i let that programs Australian representative know about it. As it turned out the program did not work… (i install onto a spare laptop i travel with)

Scrrenshot above taken from said laptop whilst sitting on a train whipping up a grasshopper script just for fun.

it appears to have overwritten my copy licence and even after removing it that persists… registry wipe required.

By now if anyone was interested that will have checked and seen i own various licences.

my discourse with this representative travels over many years, and yer our forum has a very distinct distaste for cracked software, and we have shut down any user we think is using it.

My own apologies for not picking up on this…

peace out!

(if anyone here wishes to discuss this any further msg me please)

1 Like

I have never downloaded or purchased pirated software but know a few that have suffered the consequences of blurred code, viruses, malware and the like that often is embedded in those miserable come ons. Keep clear and besides I am quite happy to support the employees of a company I admire for its product, especially when I’m able to create with their product something I can sell.

Hello there. I have no clue if it is a pirated or not but I have paid Rs 2000 to a person I brought my laptop from for the same software.

And apart from this, I got my query resolved.

oh, come on, this site sells halogene operation lights for 8k dollars as well as gucci children shirts…that must be a serious site…and I’m pretty sure “Rhino Corporate” comes with some parasite worm…

rtx 3080 99.99?
(TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OC Graphics Card)

Unless I got it all wrong, as far as I can tell, iOffer is just an auction site - they don’t actually sell anything themselves, individual people can create accounts and put up anything for sale - like eBay. They just take a percentage of any transaction.

So anyone can put up anything they want, including pirate software copies and nonexistent hardware…
Apparently it was shut down in 2019, but it seems to be back up again, under who knows what ownership. TrustPilot rating 1.6 (Bad) iOffer Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.ioffer.com

1 Like

I don’t get it. Why would the site be shut down instead of taken measures against the seller of the crack? wouldn’t that be more effective?
However, Rhino is really not expensive but great and it’s a pity there’s people prefering to get potentially scammed instead of paying the really affordable licence.

Most of the piracy came from 3rd world country <e.g., Egypt as they get 180 US dollar for month So they have to do it for living unless McNeal and the Companies make the prices affordable for The countries that are suffering from Economical crisis.

1 Like

better do something that helps yourself and your country’s economy by doing legal stuff, not just help yourself and hurt others…?

OK I’ll build a 10 Billion dollar factories to fix the economy :point_right: :point_left: :pleading_face:

1 Like

If they can afford the computer hardware to use the cracked software they ain’t poor.

2 Likes

I thought cracked software was just what you did when you were a poor student :crazy_face:.
If you ask me McNeel with Rhino3d offer some of the best 3d design sofware on the market, at a good entry price point, and then the upgrade price is discounted if you already own a license, and finally the 90 day trial is almost unique to McNeel, whats not to love about all the above!
If you’re a professional, buy a license, fly like a legal eagle :+1:t4: :beers:

5 Likes

well, many 10 billion companies existing started in a garage with a bunch of techies and 50$. Your post seems like a bad excuse. If someone is able to crack a software and sell the crack around the web, he or she is definitely able to do something constructive…

In earlier days I think the main motivation to crack software was ‘because I can’.
An interesting task…

I think the motivation is different today.
A skilled hacker can implement something that tracks you, steal you data, let it download ransomware etc.

So if one decides to use cracked software, the penalty can come unexpected :wink:

2 Likes