Construction Planes & Views

@clement Thank you for your input.

@markintheozarks Thanks anyway for trying Mark.

@emilio
Sorry Emilio, I should have been more specific. I connect arm then it asks for an origin point which I input with the arm, either on the surface of the object being digitised if it has a flat surface and if not I just use the work bench top). I generally pick front left. (Front being closest to me and left being to my left). Then it asks for X so I pick a pick with the arm that is front right, then it asks for Y direction so I pick left back (i.e. far from me). I just pick these 3 points as per the triad (if that’s what it’s called) that you see in Rhino perspective view. Then “Enter origin in Rhino (press Enter to use World origin)” so I press “enter”.
Also and big thanks to you and Pascal as I just did the same Cplane to Universal then define the CPlane by 3 points and I’m happy to report that all is good and no more angular views!

@pascal Thank you for your input and your patience with me. Thanks to you I now have a good method to follow each time.

So here’s a summary of the method I will now be using.
Connect the arm, then it asks for an origin point and X and Y directions. Using a flat surface on the job or even the bench-top, I pick these 3 points as per the triad (if that’s what it’s called) that you see in Rhino perspective view. Then “Enter origin in Rhino (press Enter to use World origin)” so I press “enter”. I then go about digitising everything I have to digitize and including a rectangle (well near enough to being a rectangle) depicting the main reference surface. I realise the rectangle thing isn’t strictly necessary but it’s just the way I do it and in the engines I work with, everything else is relative in 3D space to this surface.
Once I’m back at home and doing the post-processing work (i.e. in Rhino), I pick that almost rectangle shape and use “PlaneThroughPts” to get a “best fit” plane through those points. Then I set the Cplane to Universal then define the CPlane by object or 3 points but I prefer to use “object” and select the almost rectangle.
Thanks again everyone.

Thanks Phillip.

I asked because I was thinking whether you might directly use your reference rectangle when the arm asks you the three reference points ( origin, X direction, Y direction ). That is, picking the three (arm reference) points on your reference surface and forget about picking a rectangle later.
But the I read Clement’s post which explained why it’s better to use a standard reference for the arm … so I thought my idea was not good … sorry.

Then I think that, having to use two different references ( one for the arm and one for the part you are digitizing )
you have a couple of choices (AFAIK, obviously …) :

1. Keeping the digitized points where they are and use a custom CPlane along with Universal CPlane views
  2. Moving the points to Rhino’s World system so that your reference rectangle lay on the World CPlane and use standard views

… I hope this makes sense …

All good Emilio. As I say above, the rectangle isn’t necessary but I prefer to use that method because then on my screen I can see that rectangle and I keep it there until the end of the job and because I don’t change it (other than “PlaneThroughPts”), I know it is a reliable reference for everything else.