Constant Crashing While Working On Materials and Lighting?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on setting up a workflow for rendering that helps reduce the stress on my PC when setting up the render?

My rhino is constantly crashing these days, when im trying to set up my renders with materials and lighting. Id imagine its because my laptop is beginning to get on a bit, its not bad specs really, just sort of beginning to get a bit outdated these days. (i plan on upgrading to a desktop in the future)

So far i have come up with using a copy of shaded with scene lighting to work out my lights.
Then a copy of rendered using ambient occlusion for the lighting, to work out my materials.

This has helped a little but im still crashing a frustrating amount. so does anyone have any ideas that might help me out here?

Heres my system info in case anyone notices anything that i could change in the preferences to help my computer work with rhino a little better.

Rhino 8 SR6 2024-4-10 (Rhino 8, 8.6.24101.05001, Git hash:master @ 32c244aa711e0034e75bec2e87d093c764820b96)
License type: Educational, build 2024-04-10
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 11 (10.0.22631 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32GB)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 7-21-2022 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port 1
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 3-1-2024 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 551.76
> Integrated accelerated graphics device (shares primary device ports)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-1-2024
Driver Version: 31.0.15.5176
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.6.24101.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

While it may be aging, you’ll be on at least a quad core Skylake I’d think?

That GPU should be okay, I was running Rhino 8 WIP with my GTX 980M, which is some way behind that 1660 Ti Mobile you have.

Perhaps this is something scene-specific that you can share with either the forum or McNeel?

1 Like

Lets troubleshoot by removeing the secondary monitor and check the inputs as well as any power saving features.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the help.

So i removed the monitor and also after reading that post, i had discovered that the NVidia OpenGL and power management weren’t what they should have been.

i ran a quick stress test in rhino by applying a few PBR materials and lights to one of my models and it didnt crash, Whoop Whoop!!

On the monitor side of things, do you think this is likely making a huge difference to performance? The laptops monitor is small and the colours are crap. if running both the laptop monitor and the external is making a big difference to performance, do you think just turning off the laptop display would work or is it more of a running through the port kinda issue?

Thanks for your help!

yeah, i think the worst of my crashing may have come from an issue in the nVidia control panel settings.

Its running much better now but still lagging quite a bit. I can deal with this though. unless you have any other tips on this?

Next test will be to turn on some bump maps that were causing me to consider launching the laptop out the window yesterday!

Stupid question, but are you sure that Cycles is using the GPU?

1 Like

Check via Tools > Options > Rhino Render in the render device section.

1 Like

@David53 not a stupid question at all, as i did actually have to check.
thankyou @nathanletwory for the screenshot on that.

my rhino is indeed using the GPU. annoyingly its still lagging hell of a lot. I am using PBR materials in the model im currently working on so im wondering if this is all just a bit much for my laptop when combined with the issue of the hybrid graphics mentioned above.

Its definatly working alot better now so feel like i may just have to struggle through for a bit until i can afford a decent upgrade to a desktop, unless anyone has any other suggestions to try?

The GPU in current use isn’t terribly powerful. You can come buy and it will render, but as you noticed it will be bit slow. Especially since it will have to cater for both the operating system and the rendering requirements for Raytraced and Rhino Render (including thumbnail rendering)