Connect surface to surface as solid

Hi all, I want both surfaces to meet exactly along the line to a solid model. Could someone please help me? That would be great…

Many greetings
Boris

remove the caps from those surfaces and then use sweep 1.

see the help (f1 key ) for details on sweep 1 and it use.

1 Like

Dear Boris
to have a nice transition - you really need to take care on how the initial axises of the profile relate.
you need enough space for a partial helix and a small part that compensates the slope to zero.
if you use Sweep1 as Kyle suggest - have a close look at the rail options.

The setting also depends a bit, wether you are focusing on the circular profile. or the lower rectangular section - and also what strategies are used to produce the part.

kind regards from zurich - tom

1 Like

Hello everyone, thank you for your help. I was able to model a clean connection using the Sweep1 command. However, I had to redraw and reposition the guide curve.

Thanks again to both of you!

Many greetings
Boris

Your Sweep seems to be self intersecting.

If your guide curve was on the inside you could most probably avoid the self intersection.

Post your Rhino file with the relevant geometry if you need more help.

Below is a slightly too large example I did with Sweep2:

handrail_sweep2.3dm (239.6 KB)

I used BlendCrv to create the two rails and Maintain height checked in the command options

1 Like

make sure to have a nice base surface that handles the transition (black/grey)
there is torsion in this surface - search for a solution, that curvature is only directed to one-side (no s-shape)
… this is more precisely what i meant with “enough space” for the transition.
the green to black surface edges are G2

this will give a nice flow for the profile, use the surface edges as rail for a
_sweep2

… a nice problem that is sometimes not handled well, for example in architecture…

nice solution on a old factory (Pfingstweidstrasse, Zürich, Switzerland)

Negrellisteig, Zollstrasse Zürich - i think there might have been a nicer solution how the helix-staircase ends to the horizontal passage…

3 Likes

I rode this with my skateboard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

G2 or higher… will allow nice acceleration.
I would like to buy it, and fill it with containers to be used as ateliers…

2 Likes

Wow… The command BlendCRV in combination with Sweep2 is the hammer!!! That will help me a lot for future stair railings and piping or whatever. Thank you very much to all of you!

Many greetings
Boris

1 Like

Depending on your application you could also rebuild the section curve to a single degree 3 curve for the extrusions and then use BlendSrf to create a blended surface between the two surfaces. To some extent this could be used with history on…

1 Like

:slight_smile:

2 Likes