Connect Polygonmesh with Polysurfaces

Hi, I would need your help, please.
I designed a signetring with a pattern behind the applied block letters.
The ring and the both letters are clossed surface, the pattern is a polygonmesh.
Now I tried since hours to connect both , but I can’t.
I used the command for polysurfaces or for meshes.

How could I do it.
Thanks in advance
Barbara

Hi @Barbara89

You can’t - it’s that simple. You either need to convert your NURBS to meshes (mesh command) or convert your mesh to NURBS (meshtonurb command), all depending on your end goal. Do note, that meshtonurb converts each poly to a surface, so if it’s a dense mesh, it gets really ugly, really quickly. If your end goal is a mesh, I suggest converting your NURBS to mesh and try the mesh booleans, although they too can be a bit unstable. Post your file, if you have problems!

HTH, Jakob

PS If you have access to V6 Beta, you might try subdfrommesh

Hi,

If your mesh is “Clean” , rhino can Union Mesh and Nurbs with mesh Boolean command by automatically convert nurbs in mesh, but there is some limitations.

I guess your goal is to union both to send for prototyping , right ?

Can you Join the file ? i think we need to see what happend.

@ all
yes, I need the file to print a model.
Where can I join the file here, I would ,if I could :slight_smile:

you have a button to upload your files :

2017-12-09_19-53-06

signetring.3dm (9.8 MB)

Thanks, I have found it.
I’m always unsure which format is the right one, mesh or nurbs.
Normally, I first construct the model and then select the correct mesh setting by using the command ‘’ saving by’’, as required by my supplier.

the mesh is open below, that’s the problem, you can close it by adding a shape and union, but you can have problems with union boolean, that’s not the best rhino force, may be you’ll need to move a bit the shape for boolean work properly.
generaly i switch to better tools for mesh work.
here the file corrected :

signetring-Union3dm.3dm (16.8 MB)

Thanks a lot for helping me.
I have still 3 Questions for understanding, what mistakes I made:

1.I would like to work with textures more often, so which program would you advise ?
2. What do you mean by ‘‘to move a bit the shape’’. The form of the ring or the typ of the pattern.
3. How can I see the values of your polygon settings, in order to compare it with the desired settings of the print- servise-provider ? Is there a Rhino tool ?

I found the settings myself.
’'The controls for the Render Mesh (display mesh) settings are part of the .3dm file’s properties. In Rhino for Windows they area at File > Properties > Mesh or Tools > Options > Mesh. In Rhino for Mac they are at File > Settings > Mesh. ''Rhino mesh setting.

1 - depends of what work you try to achieve, it’s for displacement/heightfield , or just for applying coloring textures.

2- i mean, in some cases boolean fail, just moving a bit parts to change intersections can solve problem.

3 - you mean my settings for export ?

Capture2

But first thank you for your help.

I would like to make interesting surface designs, which of course have to have a certain height, so that they are then visible on the surface, similar to a relief.
However, I always have difficulty constructing connecting the top layer of the relief to the underlying layer. Maybe it really is the program.

I’ve already thought about whether Grasshopper could help me better.

It’s a bit tricky to make useful generalisations if there are no sketches or photos to depict what sort of “interesting” effects you’re actually pondering.

If you like designing with polygons, related to 1. surface effects (textures?) as part of 2. rather basic ring shapes like the one you’ve shown here, why not skip NURBS altogether and use an intuitive polygon modeling software instead, like Modo, Mudbox or even tried and trusted ZBrush, for example?

That way, you’d never have to think about NURBS or NURBS-with-polygons again and have always superbly tessellated geometry for your prototyping and manufacturing needs.