Configuring an external IDE - feasibility question

Do I need to have Rhino installed on a machine to be able to access the rhinoscript package from an external IDE?

I was just reading Steve Baer’s post on how to configure PyDev/Eclipse as an IDE and it seems like I should be able to copy the files from …\IronPython (…)\setting\lib folder to a folder on another machine but I’m not sure if there are any restrictions on copying those files.

I’d like to be able to work on scripts without necessarily being in front of my desktop computer all day and without having to install Rhino onto my Surface Pro so, if this can be done, it seems like it would be a good solution.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Just to update this post in case anyone else ever has similar issues, I was able to get PyDev/Eclipse set up as per the instructions from Steve’s post and so far it seems to be working fine. I just copied the relevant files onto my tablet and pointed Eclipse to them.

Feel free to contact me if you’re trying to do the same thing and have any questions.

(Steve Baer) #3

Thanks; feel free to add some comments to my blog post on how this is done if you’re feeling inclined :smile: