Cone with phyllotaxis Structure

I want to make a pine cone with its natural form using python scripting. Anybody working on the same problem?

@kggadhavi,

you might want to read through The Algorithmic Beauty of Plants, it covers cones in chapter 4 together with a good tutorial video from which you might get this as a starting point:

import Rhino
import scriptcontext
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
import math

def Phyllotaxis():
    c = 4
    pts = []
    for n in xrange(1,1000):
        a = n * math.radians(137.5)
        r = c * math.sqrt(n)
        x = r * math.cos(a)
        y = r * math.sin(a)
        pt = Rhino.Geometry.Point3d(x,y,0)
        pts.append(pt)
    rs.AddPointCloud(pts)

Phyllotaxis()

_
c.

1 Like

@clement Thank you for your reply. I already got inspiration from Daniel’s video on YouTube. But now I want to create Pine structure and nor able to write the script.

It would be helpful for me if you could explain a = n * math.radians(137.5) code of line. I am not getting how are you multiplying angel with for loop iteration.

Regards
Kuldeep

Hi @kggadhavi, this line just multiplies the step angle for each loop. Since the formula works using a circular measure in radians, the angle is converted from degree to radians. I guess that the conversion can also happen outside of the loop, but the multiplication with n (the loop counter) must remain in the loop.

btw. changing the angle has significant impact on the result. You probably found that already, here is a video what changes if the angle is modified during the loop…

_
c.

1 Like