Computing technical drawing?

Hi community,

I have a isue with Rhino, I believe since the latest update. When I switch to my layout viewport I get the following message

Knipsel

In my layout there is a detail in a pen rendered (one of our custom view modes) and this takes several minutes. This was never a Issue

My Rhino is up to date

Knipsel2

Hope you can help.

greetings from a cold Netherlands
Jack

Hi Jack - is this true with only this model? Are you able to get to the layout? If so, make sure the layout itself is set to use wireframe display mode,- any details that use a ‘technical’ based mode (Pen, Artisitic,Technical) could also be generating this message as it comes into view. Irf it happens every time, there is probably some piece of geometry in the model that is not meshing properly - See if SelBadObjects finds anything in the model space.

You can send your model to tech@mcneel.com, or uploat to www.rhino3d.com/upload to my attention. Please inlcude a link from this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

@user2632 - is this still a problem?

-Pascal

Hi,

I also have this problem. It started a few months ago, I think resulting from an upgrade to windows OS (a compulsory upgrade).

Current windows info:

the problem happens for all technical drawing modes (Pen, artisitc, technical, patent) on both Rhino 6 and Rhino 7 for all models when generating technical drawings from meshes (triangulated point .stl type meshes). The problem started simultaneously for Rhino6 and 7 versions, so I think it was to do with the windows upgrade rather than Rhino.

Before the problem started, there was never a problem generating technical drawings from meshes, even if the meshes contained errors (which they usually did).

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

thanks and best wishes,

Will

Hi Will -

Just to make sure - it’s normal behavior that Rhino creates technical drawing data when a file is opened and a viewport in a technical display mode becomes visible. That data is not saved in the file and needs to be recalculated every time the file is opened.

If this process takes longer than expected, we’d have to see the 3dm file to be able find out the reason.
-wim

Hi Wim,

thanks for responding to my query. Yes, I understand that technical drawing data is calculated each time the file is opened / display options are changed - sorry I should have clarified in the original post.

Part 2 of your response is what I’m experiencing - there wasn’t a problem a few months ago, but suddenly even old files that used to open fine now will not open (they get stuck in a seemingly endless process of calculating technical drawing data). I haven’t updated Rhino versions and it happens with both Rhino6 and 7.

Where should I send an example 3dm file for you to look at?
-Will

can you share your system info, it may be caused by some outdated drivers.

Hi Will -

If you can’t post a file here, please use the upload page. Make sure to include a link to this thread in the comments field.
Also, as Tay says, please provide the Rhino SystemInfo data.
-wim

Hi Tay and Wim,

system information:

Rhino 6 SR34 2021-2-3 (Rhino 6, 6.34.21034.07001, Git hash:master @ 2fec8130f097ca52a8bc9f334c3ed4a5921c5e30)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-02-03
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: parr.will ()

Windows 10.0.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: LAPTOP-6UVNRB1R

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 4-16-2020 (M-D-Y).
> External USB display device with 2 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
Primary OpenGL: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-19-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 - Build 27.20.100.8280
> Integrated (slow!) graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 10-9-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated acclerated graphics device with 1 adapter port(s)
- This device is not being used
DisplayLink USB Device (DisplayLink) Memory: 0MB, Driver date: 4-16-2020 (M-D-Y).
> External USB display device with 0 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device. Laptop lid is probably closed

ATTENTION:
Laptop is using the slower, less reliable integrated graphics device and probably needs a configuration change.

The “Main Display” is conncected to an external USB display port device, which is preventing the
proper video drivers from being loaded by Windows.

• Recommended:
    • Use Windows’ Display Settings to configure the laptop screen as the “Main Display”.
    • Or, unplug a monitor and plug it into a built-in video port (HDMI/DP) on the laptop.
      Then use Windows’ Display Settings to configure that monitor to be the “Main Display”.
  • Any hardware configuration or cabling changes you make will require that you restart Rhino.

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 - Build 27.20.100.8280
Driver Date: 5-19-2020
Driver Version: 27.20.100.8280
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I don’t think it’s a problem with a specific model, as it happens with most of my files. Hopefully you can see something in the system info.

thanks and best wishes,

Will

Well as you can see from that, it’s not actually using your 2060, it’s using some incredibly primitive adapter built in to…a USB hub? That I bet you didn’t even know was a ‘video card?’ And your 2060’s drivers are very old.

Hi Jim,

yes, I can see that. The USB hub is a docking station for the two additional screens I use. How do I configure Rhino differently so that it uses the NVIDIA graphics cards?

in the system info:
Recommended:
Use Windows’ Display Settings to configure the laptop screen as the “Main Display”.

this was already done, but doesn’t seem to have registered.

thanks and best wishes,

Will

Those settings are more of a Windows thing than a Rhino thing.

I don’t know if there’s any way around the docking station problem, if there are newer kinds that don’t have their own ‘adapter?’ The laptop “knows” how to push the GTX display output through the integrated display adapter to the laptop screen, but probably has no idea how to get it through the docking station.

@parr.will for testing purposes please disconnect the docking station and directly connect 1 monitor to the laptop’s HDMI. Disconnect all the secondary ones, And test your file.

also your GPU drivers are 2 years old so please update,

1 Like

Hi Tay,

thanks. I’ve done as suggested: plugged in a single monitor via HDMI; updated the NVIDIA GPU driver. The system info now reads:

Rhino 6 SR34 2021-2-3 (Rhino 6, 6.34.21034.07001, Git hash:master @ 2fec8130f097ca52a8bc9f334c3ed4a5921c5e30)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-02-03
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: parr.will ()

Windows 10.0.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: LAPTOP-6UVNRB1R

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 5-19-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (NVidia) Memory: 6GB, Driver date: 5-19-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 512.95
> Integrated acclerated graphics device with 1 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-19-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.15.1295
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 6 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.34.21034.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

technical drawing works for a more simple model (is still slow to calculate), but seemingly hangs (>1min) for a more normal complexity (for me) model.

any further suggestions?

thanks and best wishes,

Will

Hi Will -

Without a file, I’d say that sounds like normal behavior.
-wim