Compiled plug-in message doesn't show when loading

I noticed that the message which usually appears at the command line when my plug-in loads is not there in V7.

This message is very important for ascertaining how current (or not) each user is. Can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Dan

Make sure you have your plugin installed in RH7.

It’s installed. It loads and works great, it just doesn’t display the message.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @DanBayn,

How can we repeat this here?

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi @dale,

I will attach a sample plug-in. It just contains three simple scripts that just print the name of the script. But notice when I compiled it that I included a message to show at load time. You can see this here:

But when you load the plug-in the message doesn’t appear. Here is what the command line looks like in V7:

Here I’ve recompiled the plug-in with the V6 compiler, and opened in V6:

Here are the test files from V7:

tester.zip (4.0 KB)

If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @DanBayn,

I am not seeing any plug-in loading message in Rhino 6.

– Dale

Hi @dale,

You won’t if you compile it in V7 and run the plug-in in V6. But go the other way around and you will get the message in both V6 and V7 (that is, compile it in the old compiler and run on both). Take a look:

As you can see, the message will be there if using the old compiler in both V6 and V7, but the message is missing in both versions if compiled with the new V7 compiler.

Can you replicate this on your end?

Test the message.zip (8.2 KB)

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @DanBayn,

Thanks - I’ve logged the issue.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61920

Just curious, it this a critical issue to you or just an observation?

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi @dale,

I feel it’s fairly important in my efforts to keep all our users current with my latest changes. For example, I will get a user lodging a complaint that something isn’t working quite right. But I may have already addressed that issue, but did the user get my latest plug-in? Usually over the phone (we’re in 3 countries so over the phone is pretty common) I will ask the user what the version number and date is when the plug-in loads. If that information is not readily apparent I will probably have to remote into their computer and look at the date of the plug-in. It’s going to be a pain to manage without this message, but not impossible. At the moment I’m dealing with over 140 users so I’m hoping this doesn’t get more complicated for me moving forward to V7. If it can’t be fixed on your end I will just continue to use the standalone compiler and ignore the V7 version.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi @DanBayn,

Thanks for the details.

So if compiling with the “6” compiler works, why use the “7” compiler?

– Dale

Please use the 7 compiler. This is probably a simple bug that needs to be fixed

Hi @stevebaer,

I finally got a chance to test the compiler in the latest SR candidate. The error is gone, and the scripts compile as expected. However, there is still no load message at the command line. If that’s intentionally gone please let me know so I can do something different to display the load message.

Thanks,

Dan

I haven’t implemented the message feature yet. I bumped it up on my list an will try to get to it soon.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-61920

RH-61920 is fixed in the latest Rhino 7 Service Release Candidate

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes