Command to redo all the commands after making changes to dimensions?

Dear @rajaa @eddi and all others,

I have a doubt.

I was preparing a model. Then I realized that a small change in the dimensions in one of the section(that I prepared at the start of modelling), when i was half way through the modelling.

I did redo to go the particular section where I got to make changes to dimensions.

I remember there is a command in solidworks to redo all the commands after making changes to the base dimensions.

I would like to know, is there any command to redo all the commands that I did from that section in Rhinoceros??

This will help save lot of time and avoid errors.

Thanks
Vijay

No, there isn’t. Rhino is not parametric software like Solidworks. --Mitch

Dear @Helvetosaur, Thank you for your reply.

Really appreciate your quick support. If that option is included in future versions in Rhino, it can save a lot of time for all the users. Once again thanks.

Thanks
Vijay

There are no plans to move Rhino towards being a parametric modeling tool.
Instead, have a look at Grasshopper that is more flexible than parametric modeling:

Dear @John_Brock, Thanks a lot for reply and suggestions.

a few things can also be solved with history switched on, its of course fairly limited in particular while modeling many and different steps ahead. but if history could be a little enhanced in future versions it might easily serve as this function you would crave for if needed at all.

in your case of having set up a wrong dimension in the beginning, rhino actually offers a variety of tools which let you quickly change for example polysurfaces with SolidPtOn or MoveEdge or MoveHole etc… you can also explode at anytime and/or reloft resweep or whatever you like its usually quite fast but sure depends on where the issue happened and having at least a rudimentary knowledge of how NURBS and Rhino work, you usually dont have to fully remodel everything.

if you explain a little more what happened i am sure appropriate suggestions could be given.

Dear @RichardZ,

First of all thanks for coming forward to reply.

Problem explanation goes as follows. I prepared a model as shown below. As it is symmetric about both the axis, the model I is one quarter only. I intend to convert to .GDF file with symmetries ON.

You can see a hexagonal base. By mistake, I have taken a wrong dimensions say 40m for end to end distance. I wish to make changes to this to 60m and run all the commands from the change location. I redid all the commands again to get to the final model.
What i wish to know and do is to make changes to the base dimensions (from 40m to 60m) and run all the commands post changes without manually redoing them again.

I really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
Vijay

are those 40m hypothetically? if thats something structural then its a huge difference if you make something 40 instead of 60 meter, so for the sake of the people i hope you know what you are doing, not that somebody has to fall down at the 20m missing. or even at 20 meters too much :worried: and whatever we can do now to make human error easy to handle at least on the computer, just keep in mind that it will not help you avoiding them, not that we have a misunderstanding i mean :wink:

anyway your model looks like a mesh object which got imported from another application. or how did you produce it? would you consider working with NURBS or do you need a specific mesh for whatever symmetry reason you need it for? you can also drop in the file that i can have a look at it if thats an option for you.

Dear @RichardZ,

Thanks for your reply. If there is a change in the base dimensions that we wish to make, is it possible to do? instead of deleting mesh and reproducing that section, I would like to change dimensions and accept with a __________ command so that the rest of operations are carried out.

This kind of operation does exists in solidworks. I wish to know if there is any such in Rhino?. This eases the work and reduces errors in rework.

I have attached the file FYR. Yes I used paneling tools to produce this mesh in rhino.
I have hidden all except mesh.

rhino_experts.3dm (1.3 MB)

Thanks
Vijay

hi vijay, if you deliver an object which is split up into 1450 mesh pieces there is not much i can do in trying to find a better workflow for your needs. if you have the initial NURBS that could be done in a few ways pretty fast.

if there is a need for keeping all dimensions as a mesh or as NURBS very dynamic that you can dice them in as they appear in your idea then i would believe grasshopper would give you all advantages for this. but thats not how one would work on such an object, surly depending on what you need it for.

maybe explain quickly step by step how you produced that object and why mesh might be obligatory in your situation, maybe we can improve your way of working and find a solution for happened mistakes to be fixed fast without remodeling.

your geometry would be built up in about 2 minutes and if you used NURBS you can fix wrong dimension rather then messing around with mesh.

hi @RichardZ,

Thanks a lot for reply. I would prefer to use NURBS, the reason why I chose the above way is to get quadrilateral elements to define my geometry. Could modelling in grasshopper helps me in getting quadrilateral mesh elements and can it be converted to .gdf file?

hey @Vijay_KG yes i would use NURBS first and then convert them to any kind of mesh you need. grasshopper will do that. i think there is a little free plugin which helps you create any kind of individual mesh, so that should be rather fast to set up. rhino exports gdf but i have no experience with this so far.