Command materials blocks the program and also the mac

If I try to open the materials the program crashes, you can not even close with “force quit” and one can not even close the mac. To turn off my Mac I have to hold down the power button to get forced shutdown.
Giuseppe

Can you please help us get a list of conditions together so we can reproduce this crash on our own machines? Can you please send along your Software information? (You can find this in Rhinoceros > About Rhinoceros > More info… button > Copy to clipboard button - and paste it into this thread).

Are you able to reliably reproduce this issue or does it only happen under certain conditions (or with certain models)? Does this, for example, just happen when you open the Material Editor (or use the _MaterialEditor command)? The more specific the steps, the better chance we have of reproducing this.

Thanks.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A854)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: it (MacOS default)
OS X version: Versione 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.sophos.nke.swi (9.2.50)
com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0)
com.sophos.kext.sav (9.2.50)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro6,1
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1200
Displays: LED Cinema Display (109dpi 1x), LCD colori (133dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: iPad
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Primax Electronics: Apple Optical USB Mouse
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple Inc.: Display iSight
Apple Inc.: Apple LED Cinema Display
Apple Inc.: Display Audio
Apple Inc.: Built-in iSight
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.0.31 310.90.10.05b12
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bit
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: Yes

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 2x
Mip map filtering: Nessuno
Anisotropic filtering: Nessuno

I think I understand what’s going on.
The project is a sailboat and is composed of many parts; each part had assigned a material with Toucan render; the materials used could be a dozen, but now each part of the project has its own material “material Rhino” and when I ask to access the “material”, employment of computer memory rises above 6 GB, while my Mac only has 4. I should be able to relocate all over a standard material and in any case would be a very strenuous job, but I think it is impossible to remove the materials of the project. What can I do?
Thanks
Giuseppe

It looks like there might be something going on with materials, yes. Thanks for the extra info. I sounds like we will need to take a look at the file. Can you please upload it at: http://www.rhino3d.com/upload
and put mactech@mcneel.com in the recipient address (#2). Add a link back to this discourse thread as well in the Comments section (#3). We will see if we can reproduce this issue on our end…

the file is 218.8 MB and does not transfer

I think we found (and fixed) a bug that may be causing this memory issue. We hope to get a fix out very soon. Stay tuned.

Each small object of a model has its material, even if equal to that of many other objects. If I click on “select objects with this material” is selected only one object. If I delete an object, its material remains between the materials of the model, you can not erase. I should be able to assign an object or multiple objects, a standard material or a material personal and if I ask you to select objects with the same material, I should see all the selected objects with the same standard or personnel material. In this command of materials many things are not working.
Thanks
Giuseppe

Please try the Rhino for Mac RC4 released June 9. If you still are seeing problems we will need a copy of your model so we can duplicate your problem.