Command-line driven design software

One of my favorite aspects of Rhino is the command line, It makes it very easy to discover new functionality, and makes for a much faster workflow. Every time I have to open photoshop i find myself longing for that sweet sweet command-line. Hot keys can obviously do some of the work, but you can only have/remember so many before it becomes impractical. While the high-level command functionality and rhino, gives access to hundreds of functions with a few keystrokes.

Is there any other design software out there with a similar interface? I’d love to see it in a mesh/subD modeler, and in raster and vector image programs.

1 Like

The command line was inherited from AutoCAD; that, its clones and Rhino are the only programs I know with a command line interface. --Mitch

People who think that a good GUI and a command line cannot live together should try Rhino 3D.

bummer

Command line subD modeller… t-Splines plugin for Rhino is or am I missing something in the question?

t-splines is pretty much dead from what i understand. Autodesk has incorporated the functionality into Fusion, the t-splines plugin hasn’t been updated in several years, and support is virtually non-existant.

May as well put Clayoo in there too.—Mark

yeah, unfortunately clayoo seems to be in the same boat as t-splines. It it feels like kind of a half-baked product, and from what i hear, TDM seems to be putting most of their efforts into RhinoGold.

either way, i appreciate the suggestions, but my question stems more from an interest in other software that may have a similar interface, not plugins for Rhino. It’s out of curiousity, not need.

Clayoo is not really a command line tool IMO unless it has changed dramatically in version 2. You do almost everything in t-splines that I have encountered via the command line.

Clayoo1 on the other hand during the the 2-3 years I used it forces you to use wizards. Wizards that do not even have tab indexing…so you have to click through every parameter.

IIRC In Clayoo 1 the ClayFill command will not even run from the command line unless the Clayoo tab is open.

Hi Sochin, I don’t know what it means next to your name, but that lettering looks like art in itself.
On another thread John from Mcneel made an encouraging statement, saying Rhino 's main objective is surface modeling. I sure want that group to succeed. —Mark