Command delay problem

It seems that some commands such as ‘options’ and ‘MergeAllFaces’ needs 5 to 10 seconds delay for execution. Those commands include several simple plugins I made using rvb scripts.

For instance, upon typing in ‘option’ or clicking the option button, the option window pops up about 10 seconds later.

I’m using macbook pro retina 15"(mid 2014 - quite brand-new) on bootcamp with 2gb nvidia 750m graphic card.

My college’s laptop is almost same with mine(late 2013 rmbp 15") but there’s no such problem. The response is just prompt.

It’s not a huge problem, but the tiny delays are quite annoying…

FYI, I checked virus vaccine program, firewall, and also updated graphic drivers.

Please help me!
Thanks in advance!
J

Hi jonghoonim - I can imagine Options might be slowed by having a lot of plug-ins loaded, especially plug-ins that have their own pages in Options. MergeAllFaces loads a plug-in (SolidTools) once any SolidTools command is run in session, MergeAllFaces and others, should run quickly - that not the case?

-Pascal

Hi pascal,

Thanks for your answer.

You might be right. When I type again those commands, it pops up very quickly. Looks like they are storing caches somewhere.
But whenever I start rhino for the first time, this always happens so I have to go through every time.

I just found out when I start rhino there are few plugins in the list. When I execute mergeallfaces, it loads solidtools.
But why this computer only do this? I’ve never experienced this before.
Do you know how to load plugins in advance so I can reduce the loading time?

J

Hi J - They are not storing caches, they are simply loaded already the second time a command is run -the delay is in loading the plug-in. In general, most plug-ins are enabled but not loaded until needed for the first time. If loading a plugin like SolidTools is, by itself, taking a long enough time to be a problem, then something is not right. A short pause is expected but not 5-10 seconds. Can you tell me what plug-ins, if any, are installed that are not default Rhino plug-ins?

thanks,

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

Here’s the list of plugins when rhino first started and loaded options.

I checked the option loading time and it takes nearly 30 seconds.
There are 2 plugins newly added after installed rhino(vray for rhino, Tsplines). Before installing the plugins, the loading time was the same. Just opened a new file and loaded rhino options, so there’s no modeling data in the file.

I just exchanged the macbook(2.5ghz cpu, 16gb memory, 750m 2gb graphic card, 1tb ssd) with a new one(2.8ghz cpu, others same) expecting this problem solved, but the same problem occurred again.

Thanks,
J

Please check out this video.

Hi J - does it make any difference if the machines are connected to the network/internet or not? I notice that one is an evaluation version, I don’t know if that may have some impact as well.

thanks,

-Pascal

Those two all connected to the same network. And, yes, I am using an evaluation version of rhino but as you know evaluation version makes any difference on other machines. Taking 30 seconds for loading options is just not normal.
I also asked Apple if they have any suggestions to solve this problem, but they said they are not responsible for the problems on windows side.

So you don’t have any other solutions for this problem?

Problem solved!

I installed windows 8.1 pro. That’s it.
Thank you!

J

Hello!

I’ve been having the same issue, often 2-3 second delays after many commands (line, offset surface, extrude, moving the viewport camera, … it seems to happen randomly).

I tried disabling the VRay plug-in, which helped a little, but I also need the plug-in. Any possible other solutions?

Systeminfo from Rhino:

Rhino 6 SR15 2019-6-13 (Rhino 6, 6.15.19164.21011, Git hash:master @ e41c99d36bb5000377057645e96b3ea6facf6171)
License type: Educational, build 2019-06-13
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Bryce Brown ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-T3OSUP4

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Radeon Pro 560 (AMD) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 4-3-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.13474 Compatibility Profile Context 22.19.128.1

OpenGL Settings

• Safe mode: Off*
  • Use accelerated hardware modes: On*
  • Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On*
  • Anti-alias mode: 4x*
  • Mip Map Filtering: Linear*
  • Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height*
  • Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.*
  • Render version: 4.5*
  • Shading Language: 4.50*
  • Driver Date: 4-3-2017*
  • Driver Version: 22.19.128.1*
  • Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384*
  • Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits*
  • Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384*
  • Total Video Memory: 4 GB*

Rhino plugins

• C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.15.19164.21011*
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.15.19164.21011*
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.15.19164.21011*
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.15.19164.21011*
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\BlockEdit.rhp “BlockEdit” 6.15.19164.21011*
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Calc.rhp “Calc” *
  • C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedPositions.rhp “Named Position”*

Thank you!
Bryce

Hi Bryce -

How little? Did the problem not go away then? I’d think it would either be there or not. When you disable VRay, did you close and re-open Rhino? It does not seem like a video card related thing but I see your drivers are a couple of years old - I’d update those regardless…

Open the Notifications panel (Panel menu) and look for a notification about drivers - double-click on that and follow along to get to a newer driver - download and install that and see how things work.

-Pascal

Thanks for the quick reply and I apologize for missing this.

I updated my drivers and turned of VRay with little success (still 1-4 second random delays after commands). I’ve no longer needed the file, but I am looking into the issue.

Hello - is the delay depend on what file is open? If it does not happen in every file, please post or send to tech@mcneel.com a (small,if possible) example file that shows the problem. Please include a link to this thread.

-Pascal

Hello.

I am having a similar situation.

I open an empty file and every command, like Box, line, Rectangle…
They take a one second delay until it runs.

For this reason I am sticking to Rhino 5. I have updated my Graphic Card and the problem remains.

My hardware information:
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.86
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-22-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3086

Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Stencil depth: 8bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

I share a video with you about the problem.

Every command takes half a second until it runs.
And you can see how slowly the curves are drawn from 0:37 onwards.

Can you post the rest of your SystemInfo? Do you have any plug-ins loaded (like V-Ray)?

I don’t have Vray plug-ins loaded. And as opposed to Rhino 6.0. Rhino 5.0 runs very smooth for me.

and my system infos.

Rhino 6 SR16 2019-7-9 (Rhino 6, 6.16.19190.07001, Git hash:master @ a8b4ee102e9e0eb1d11825df063e13f96d518f93)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-07-09
License details: LAN Zoo Network Node

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)
Machine name: T080001

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 5-22-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 430.86

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 2x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-22-2019
Driver Version: 26.21.14.3086
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.16.19190.7001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Well, unfortunately the displays in Rhino 6 and Rhino 5 are two completely different animals… Your system info looks good, so I don’t have an explanation for the moment. Is there anything else (non-Rhino) running in the background that might be taking up your CPU/GPU time?

No. I tried reinstalling it. disabling all toolbar. closing everything but Rhino 6. Restarting, updating windows… opening it in safe mode.

It is still laggy as the video showed.

I am really disappointed to be frank. The company bought Rhino 6 and we cannot use it and have to stick to Rhino 5 that is released ten years ago.
Do you know how i can check the background CPU/GPU usage?
I can post anything here if required, anything that can help my case.

I understand your disappointment. Note that this is not a general problem - only a few people are experiencing such issues - so it is something related to your particular installation, or a particular combination of Rhino/computer environment factors that have not yet been able to be determined.

Rhino 6 has had its display engine completely redesigned to take advantage of modern hardware (which Rhino 5 didn’t) so in principle it should run better than Rhino 5 on your machine, not worse.

It may take some time to figure out what is happening. Can you try testing the current SR17 release candidate? To do so, set your update frequency in Options to “Service Release Candidate” instead of “Service Release”. In the next day or so, Rhino should offer you a new build to download, or try punching the “check now” link.

@stevebaer - one for investigation?

Hi. Thanks for your understanding and recognition of the problem. it does make me feel better that you understand our frustration.

Where can I find “update frequency in Options to “Service Release Candidate”??