Collecting Stair Elements- Handrails, Landings, Runs and Suppports

I use the Categories node to find all the Categories in the Revit Project. I then find that there are no Categories titled Handrails, Landings, Runs and Supports.

I then collect all elements in my project and examine their Category and some of them return the category- Handrails, Landings, Runs and Supports.

Is this something like Stair elements are collected by their Sub Categories? I want to be able to select all elements related to stairs simply using the Category Filter Stairs.

Hi @ssw1,

It looks like you are after categories and subcategories that allow parameters in Revit.

‘Query Categories’ should help here.

Amazing that worked, I also used the Sub Cat node. Is there a node that can return if the cateogry is a system or loadable family?

There is not a node that distinguish between those two types of categories.
Why do you need to make anything different on each case?

What I want to be able to do is easilly know if a category is a system or loadable. This is because I want to be able to get materials from elements, and for loadable families, you need to get the materials from the sub categories. So I want to split my elements up based on system and loadable in order to do this.

Ie. if I want to get the material from all elements in a curtain panel (loadable) I cant just get them by calling materials, I need to delve into the sub categories and find a material through that. So it would be perfect if I could simply just be able to see if an element was loadable. Otherwise I can easilly solve it by just writing a list of items I know are one of the other and sorting them.

It feeds into this topic here resolved previously:

Hope this makes sense.

Still don’t get the big picture here.
Is not ‘Element Materials’ enough in your case?

You can use ‘Family Filter’ to classify the Elements.
It filters Elements by ‘Kind’ (‘System’, ‘Component’ or ‘Direct Shape’).

You can prefilter or postfilter as you see fit.
Keep in mind that prefiltering is always faster since it deals with less elements.

That looks nice above- what is the node at the bottom with the Pass output called, and what is the input drop down? I cant seen them in my nodes.

Ok the reason is that lets say for example, I want to get all the materials that made up a curtain wall or a door- If I just pass the element into the Materials Node- I just get a single material back, not all of the materials that make up that family- for this reason I need to explore the sub categories.

By extension- and this is a current problem- if I have a revit railing element- I get over 300 geometry elements, but I can not access any of the properties that make up this element such as balusters or top rails etc. In this case I need to be able to explore deeper into the object in order to be able to correctly assign the material name to the geometry.

HI Ssw, Like i mentioned in the other thread, there are a lot of conditions possible, especially considering all the different aspects of Revit Element Material control (object style, parameter,sub-categories, overrides,…)

You are going to end up with different workflows for some Elements.

That is the Filter Elements component.

You can create a loaded value list by right clicking and Expose Picker