Closed Breps for calculation of volume

Hi everyone,

I work on lattice structures. I am trying to calculate their volumes. I used pipe to give the curves a thickness. It gave me 19 closed breps, but I am not sure if I will get the correct result when I use the volume component. I can’t use the multipipe since it is rounding the corners. How can I reach the true result ? Can you help me, please?

Thanks in advance,

Volume.gh (8.0 KB)

when Solid Union won’t work, sometimes a good shuffle is what is needed :slight_smile:

Volume_shuffled.gh (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the great work!

Sorry, I have noticed this algorithm doesn’t work on some types of lattice geometries. Do you have a solution for them?
fourtypeoflattices.gh (15.6 KB)

you can try different combinations, like here the Pipes have flat capped Ends, gets United together, and then spheres are generated on their end-points and United again into the final solid:

case 0:

case 1:

case 2:

case 3:

my lucky day! :smiley:

fourtypeoflattices_lucky_inno.gh (21.5 KB)

just before posting this I realized I was building too many spheres because I didn’t Set the end-points… so in all the screenshot above this component is missing, and calculation time are like exponentially higher than in real (you will find the right Create Set component in the attached file :+1: )

1 Like

Thank you, Inno. You helped me a lot. Best wishes

1 Like

Inno, did you use any external add-ons in your file? When I open it, it doesn’t work properly. I use Rhino 7; maybe this is the problem.

I get the same result you show with tolerance set to 0.01 but it works properly with tolerance set to 0.001

-Kevin

1 Like

Which one is for tolerance? You mean radious?

this one, my default is 0.001
and yes, I’m on R8

once you change it in Rhino, you need to right click on GH canvas and choose Recompute (or press F5 on Win) to have it reflected in GH