Close hole / recreate cutting curve

Hei everyone,

i’m trying to fix a hole in an old model from my workshop database where the cutting curve is missing.
my normal approach to create the surface(with the full solid available) would be: wirecut / extrude curve+trim / make a solid and boolean dif.

All surface creation ways i tried failed to create the ‘simple’ surface it should/could be(red one in the attached file)

So my last try was to: dupedge, split at quads, setpt / project to cplane, extend curve on both sides, extrude that curve.
In my logic the resulting surface should be able to be trimmed/split… just it won’t.
With the original curve it’s no problem at all.

So is there a way to recreate the curve and/or create the surface or is this a “once you forgot your keys in the car you can’t simply go back in” situation?

Thanks in advance!

Recreated the basic situation in this file:
Fill_Hole.3dm (2.6 MB)

Not really. The ‘hole’ has no memory of the object that created it by cutting through a base object of the hole surface is permanently deleted. In certain situations, you might be able to find a good approximation if you know that the cut was linear in one direction (i.e. an extrusion) but that’s about it. Good reason not to delete construction geometry, but rather to keep it on off layers.

Yah, i tend to do that a bit over the top with saves pre-boolean and every cutting curve plus incremental saves… but better save than sorry.
My colleague is a ‘deleteinput:YES’ kinda person tho.

Well, in the end i was just wondering if there is a good n easy way to recreate a curve if you know it is/was linear :man_shrugging:

Have hou had a go at curvetools _ curve from objectsclause _ silhouette

Well, kinda. its the same as my 'dupedge, split at quads, setpt ’ approach.
The resulting surface can be split by the object but the join results in an open polysurface

Ill try the methods tomorrow on the original file at work, even tho that one is way more komplex.

Thank you anyway!

All of the above assumes that the cutter was linear in one direction. If it was not, the re-created closing surface - even if it joins with the base surface - will not be the same as the original.

For example - figure out the original surface I used that closed the hole in this box. I’ll let you know if you get it right… :smile:

HoleInBox.3dm (69.3 KB)

Well, my .3dm up there should have given you the hint that that’s the case, no?
:wink:
I mean… there is a linear curve in there and it happens to be the cutter :exploding_head:
Still couldn’t recreate it.
As for the original: it was a curve for a straight hinge. Quite sure you need to cut those linear.

A working center osnap. 'nuff said. (this ‘riddle’ may or may not be the reason for my tad sarcastic reply)

Well, here is my ‘tad sarcastic’ reply:

No, the curve is not linear, it’s planar. Linear is a line.

The linear I was referring to is in the cutting direction. Which you can tell if you have the original surface, but otherwise not.

You know that. But how is Rhino supposed to know once you have removed the cut surface. All it sees is a hole that has a curved edge. It has no idea of what was originally in the hole. It may have been a linear cut, it may not have been. An infinite number of different cutting surfaces could make the same shaped hole.

Post your solution and I’ll post the original.