Clipping plane options wishes

Hi @wim
I see your point about sparing the users from having to deal with the geometry until needed.

This already exists if you make the clipping in a detail view, it is only clipping inside the detail view.

1 Like

That makes sense, yes. Thanks.

@rajaa, instead of describing our script solution I would rather prefer to describe the ideal workflow. Also our scripted solution is not accomplishing what we would consider ideal. Much of it goes into the direction of Make2D.

1. Place a SectionPlane (can work exactly like the current ClippingPlane)
  2. Set properties of the section on the SectionPlane level through object properties.
    a. Section line weight options: Absolute value, ByParent (the sectioned 3D object), ByLayer (the layer of the sectioned 3D object)
    b. Edge line weight (the seen edge lines): Absolute value, ByParent, ByLayer, AsPercentage (as a percentage of the lineweight of the sectioned 3D object. e.g. in architecture furniture has thinner line weights than a structural wall. In a section I would like to differentiate the lineweight between wall edges and furniture edges)
    c.Hatch: Absolute value, ByParent, ByLayer (I know the latter do not exist. It would be great if we could set hatching styles on a per object basis in object properties and on a per layer basis in the layer manager. This should follow the exact same concept as e.g. Linetype)
  3. Draw additional 2D detail over the section, mostly lines, dimensions, text. In order to not clutter the 3D model with 2D detail lines, I would like to draw this in a special mode. E.g. by double clicking on the section symbol in the Rhino viewport (like for blocks) I enter into the section mode. The view rotates plan to the section plane and I can start drawing in it. In the section properties dialog and through a command I have the option to display the geometry drawn in the section mode or to hide it. If I setup the section in a Detail View, I would only see the geometry drawn in section mode in the view in which I setup the section.
    For the above to work the following features are needed:
    a. Snapping to the section lines
  4. Printing
    a. The SectionPlane has to produce vector output. Otherwise it is useless for architectural drawings. Please see my comment above for this.

I suggest to have a look at how Revit is doing this. Their solution for adding 2D drawing objects into sections/clipping planes is close to ideal. It is just too clumsy to draw with it ;).

I will add to this if more comes to my mind.

1 Like

Not sure if this thread is still active. But let’s try anyways.

Maybe not a new option but a fix that we are looking for. The texture fills for Clipping planes don’t seem to work properly on blocks with elements that include box mapping. https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/box-mapping-different-in-a-block/112658/2. It seems like Clipping Plane fills don’t take the origin point for the box mapping into account when slicing through a block.

Hi @rolf,
Thank you for this report.
I replied here.

Sincerely,
Mary Fugier

1 Like