Clipping Plane Fills! Please

Yeah, I’d prefer to not have bunch of lines and hatches added to the document. The hatching on clipping plane slice need only to be visual and printable. It doesn’t need to be an actual hatch object.

1 Like

:rofl:, if you can’t realize how this can help you, good luck then.

I don’t think we should be using scripts for such an important feature .

1 Like

On our end we chose to not use hatching at all. But we’re fringe industry and can get away with it. To reiterate, we don’t need any workarounds to make it work at the moment, but if this feature is implemented as I imagined it we will use it.

Believe me this is one of the few software where you have access to the API publicly and without additional licensing. If you want something to be done exactly how you want it done - do it yourself. Then you’ll be one big step in front of the competition.

You can’t be sure it will meet your expectation when McNeel develop it as they have to think of many other (arguably) more important issues/functionalities. Also they have to think about requests from customers about the same thing but different implementation than what you wish for.

Something to think about.

@ivelin.peychev I notice that, in many threads you try to convince people that tools should NOT be added to Rhino. Why is that?

OP here. To return to the question at hand:

I don’t think what’s required is any new option wrt to clipping plane fills. The existing ones simply have to have a reliable result.

The existing system for filling clipped planes with a hatch or any other kind of ‘fill’, simply doesn’t seem to work. The many settings in my example at the top of the page are having no effect on the display of the object’s clipped fill.

These settings are all shown. They happen in…
4 places in the Object’s Properties Box.
2 places in the Display tab’s View Mode settings
3 places in the Options>ViewModes>>ClippingPlaneObjects

Every time I think I see an error in them I change that setting, and it still doesn’t work.

That is completely wrong statement.

Have you seen the number of wishes and new functionalities and bugs on the bug tracking system?

In many cases the means to implement a certain thing is already there. It’s completely another thing if there’s nothing developed in low level (C++). Then we have a problem and we need to push very hard because if it is not implemented in C++ it cannot be done programming or no programming. Unless you wish to code in C++. I sure don’t.

Hell I don’t even wanna code in C#, but if something cannot be done in python I will. Like for example compiling a plugin for Rhino. You can’t do it with Python. So I look for other means (namely C#).

I do stuff on my own. Yes, I also complain a lot and demand stuff, and I get rejections. But I least I do a lot on my own.

There are people who don’t even try to develop something, just want and want, even if there already are scripts for that, they do.

That’s ridiculous!
McNeel aren’t AutoDesk, or Dassault Systemes, with tens of thousands of programmers.

@djhg you can’t make it work something like this?

1 Like

While that is good, and personally I like the fact that I can do this in Rhino too, it isn’t for everyone.

1 Like

I really appreciate your video, Gijs.
On Monday I created a project from scratch for the example at the top of the page. It didn’t work.
Today I created a similair project, again from scratch. It worked.
This is my experience with the clipped fills tool. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn’t. When it doesn’t, no amount of trouble shooting is ever fixed that.
Maybe you can look at my settings, Gifs, and see if anything there looks incorrect.

I simply disagree with that.
And this is making the impression that I don’t want stuff being added to Rhino.

I simply used the setting to use the clipping plane’s material

Programming is a different skill than designing stuff. Furthermore to get good at it, takes quite a bit of time. So how can you disagree with that?

And that is making the impression I said you don’t want ANY stuff to be added to Rhino :wink:

I can’t. WTF is that sorcery?

I’m a designer, an engineer, and I try my best to develop my own stuff. Yes, it takes time, so get on with it as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

and that’s what’s wrong. low level stuff, new functionalities I want them in the RhinoCommon. When they will come to Rhino client, or how? Natively or as a plugin, that is of no importance. If it is available in the API it will be developed sooner or later in the client too.

Assign a material to your object, texture, set the option as Gijs showed above. Then switch the view to rendered or shaded.

no just use the material set to the plane. In this case it is a bitmap texture I added to the diffuse slot of the clipping plane material

Thankyou very much Gijs. That’s working for you for filling the clipped plane with the object’s material. I, on the other hand, specifically need the clipped plane to be a solid colour distinct from the object. (Common practice in my drafting world.)

You may notice at the top of the page, I have my view mode set to a specific fill color. This also should work, shouldn’t it? (I have everything else set to make the fill black too, for that matter – and all the settings are there on display – but there it is, showing the objects ordinary front face, grey as ever.)