Class A Analysis

Thanks for your depth answer. I will see that your future movie with pleasure when you record it. I have a foggy idea of how it should work but I`m not sure that I understand it well.

There are so few movies about this workflow that I`m happy with every movie about that :slight_smile:
I would like also to buy some tutorials about the whole process if they will be available in the future.

Cheers!!!

1 Like

wow @sgreenawalt This is an honor to have you on this topic, I’m a big fan of your videos! They really helped me understanding and creating better surfaces.

Also thanks to everyone for these great answers and disussions, the RefitTrim is now definitely a must have in my workflow!

1 Like

So glad you like the series!

1 Like

personally I would have no problem calling it (series class A).
anyway, you are the director of this series, you decide .
it is true that the role is to teach people something new.
but there is no harm in hearing noise around the subject. it sheds light on this subject (taboos) :clown_face: for a lot of people, including me …
there are professionals in this forum who can enrich the debate .
and if necessary, we will quote everyone to make a big storm :joy: .
why not rhino for class A! .
I watched videos on YouTube for professionals who model on catia, nx, icem, alias, and who talk about (classes A)
I really hadn’t seen anything impressive,
or on the contrary, I noticed that it is quite feasible in rhino … {of course, with a little more effort} ♤

it irritates me to have rhino in my hands without having the courage to talk about (class A)

:slightly_smiling_face::man_shrugging:

Ha! Perhaps I should make a whole video called “Why this series is not called Class-A modeling!” :slight_smile: Then everyone can fight it out in the comments section…

2 Likes

you should make one for April fools day, where you solve all the corners with Patches and use NetworkSrf only!!! Then create an offset and perform a boolean Difference with a Mesh!

Awesome series btw. !

1 Like

omg…next year…

I’m gonna kill your opinion, boy.:clown_face:
however remain in discussion and do not quit …

hahah I would be on your side anyway …
I have a file of a geometry, which I call all the time (head of the throne).
I modeled it an hour ago to share it here.
it was one of the favorite exercises for me in the past, since it used to break my head a lot.
I have a lot of other geometries that present puzzle situations.
I don’t know if I should create another thread to share them.
in any case, here is the file

@mcvltd this file is new, if you want to analyze it.

I invite everyone without exception to download and analyze it.
any reviews are welcome.
**I recorded a video that shows the steps of modeling, I will share it on my YouTube channel later.**
I modified the message, to put the links of the modeling steps

here they are

That looks very nice and clean Fares, well done!

However, I think your skills/knowledge are advanced far enough to try more ‘free-form’ examples now rather than cubes. Your Audi project will be more of a real-world example of applying Class-A techniques and will probably be more challenging in certain areas. I also suspect you won’t encounter the kind of junction that you’ve modelled here.

I’m looking forward to seeing you complete that one!

Or maybe try surfacing over a scan of a bumper or some body work. That will be very representative of what you’d have to do in an auto studio. I’m pretty sure you’ll find out soon, surely one of the auto companies will snap you up once the economy starts moving again?!

1 Like

hi rob.
yes, the example I shared was just a glimpse of the meeting of the six surfaces at the center of the geometry.
you are right, in general in the modeling of free forms it is rare to meet this type of mixture .
difficult mixes are those which have less homogeneous edges, and sudden changes in curvature and direction.

thank you. I still have to do the video editing for the general shape parts with their details, before publishing the tutorial.

I would need someone to give me an original file of a real scanned bumper.
I wonder if someone can send me a scanned file, I will do the tutorial I admit that it would be a real representative exercise.
I will see in the future I would like to work one day in an automotive design studio, it’s a sector that I really like.

1 Like

@juliendelvaux
forgive me. I have diverted the discussion from your topic

I’ve always wondered what Autodesk’s control over T-splines, would lead to.

I’m still looking into this.

Sub-D’s are amazingly in V7 lol, and grasshopper keeps evolving lol.

Still waiting for the traditional ‘parametrics’ of solid modeling to merge though.