Cintiq and rhino3D

unhandled

does someone use rhino with a graphic hardware like a cintiq 27HD?

0 Likes

I’m also very curious about this, but I have only used Intuos tablets so far and only with the mouse mostly because I really like the scroll wheel zooming. The pen isn’t very easy to use in a traditional cad environment (Sutherland’s Sketchpad, the first Cad program I know off, did use one but it seems like other didn’t pick it up) Hope someone else can answer.

0 Likes

Im using the latest intuos tablet for rhino and change the pen setting to make it work. (Replacing double click button with rhino pop up menu) plus some quick gesture shortcuts (wacom radial menu)

Those 2 set up should be enough to do most rhino command.

0 Likes

ok runnie, but do you think it’s possible to have a video demonstration of the couple Rhino / intuos tablet

0 Likes

I raised this topic last year about implementing tablet in rhino workflow, i Got zero response so definetly nobody is interested in that. The thing is, wacom can only be useful for certain work (Sculpting, 3d painting , gesture navigation)
And Rhino has none of that function yet. There is actually no significant advantage in using wacom in rhino.

I use wacom because I need to easily switch between Rhino and Maya as part of my workflow. Nevertheless, when it comes to grasshopper, i have to abandon my tablet and use mouse instead.

May i know what do u want to achieve by using cintiq in rhino?

0 Likes

Hy onlyforpeace,

All Wacom tablets work great together with Rhino!

I’ve been using my intuos together with Rhino for more than 10 years.
I do a lot of “classic” construction work on it, but also sculpting and all other windows functions.

You should configure RMB on the Pen-button wich is closer to the tip.

• use shift+RMB for Pan
  • use ctrl + RMB to zoom in/out

I never missed a scroll-mouse again!

0 Likes

hy!!
thank you for your answer…
first, excuse my english so bad, i’m french…
in fact i work on rhino, 8 hours per day all the year, and i search for accelerate, and make better my job… i would like to see the using of an Intuos on rhino, can you explain what is the first thing that you prefer a tablet then the mouse?

0 Likes

Hi, I am working with Cintiq 24" screen and Cintiq Companion tablet (Windows version) running Rhino a lot, and honestly, at least in my workflow in Rhino I don’t see any benefit of using them. Maybe sometimes it is faster to trace some shapes with splines/polylines or place points, but in general mouse+command line combo is way faster for me.
Wacom screens/tablets are great for other purposes but so far I see very little use in Rhino.

my 2c

–jarek

0 Likes

Rhino doesnt have any gesture-shortcut / gesture navigation / gesture transformation or any sculpting / painting operation. It is far better using Mouse if you are working with Rhino all the time. you can however, do just fine with Wacom, here are some tips I found useful when working with Wacom =

• keep pressing Alt+ if you need to select your object otherwise Wacom super sensitive flick will accidentally drag your geometry.

• Map MMB to one of the pen button so that you can bring Rhino pop up menu. assign all the command u use frequently there.

• as @dussim has mentioned, I am also using the same navigation method so there is no need to use mouse for zooming in /out.

• work with gumball instead. Wacom user should try to avoid pressing keys on keyboard as possible for common operation like Move,Scale,Rotate,copy, etc. this will speed things up significantly.

thats all and sorry for my bad english

0 Likes

I only can give You my individual advice.
So I absolutely prefer the tablet - I’m no longer using a mouse at all.

A normal tablet has only advantages for me - in Rhino and also in any other application.
It is much less stress for the hand.
For example selecting in Rhino is 2 or 3 times faster than a mouse.
Besides: it’snearly “noiseless”.
It is just a question of practice!

I prefer the small and medium sized tablets - not the big ones.
On the big tablets the hand sometimes has to pass long distances.
So on the smaller ones, every movement can be done “out of Your wrist”.
This makes working much faster.

I agree to Jareks opinion - a cintiq-Tablet is not a “must have” for Rhino.
Cintiq is really useful for painting and sculpting purposes.
But on a cintiq Your hand often covers the screen, so You don’t see what happens on it.
On my MS-Surface Tablet I also use an external tablet.
I dont’t like working directly on the screen when I’m using Rhino.

In my opinion, an internet browser is the only application a scroll wheel has some advantages.

0 Likes

ok thank you for your advice.
do you know which kind of tablet not so expensive is a good product for trying tablet on rhino?
is someone can make a video demonstration of rhino with a tablet?

0 Likes

I also use my Wacom tablet (not a Cintiq) for Rhino. I began using it quite recently as I needed the tablet for other programmes and got fed up of switching back to the mouse. After a little adjustment it works well, it feels more precise than a mouse and my hand gets less fatigued after a long day. I also have a 3D Connexion Space Mouse that has various shortcuts set to the function keys - the Pop Up menu for example. I don’t think I could manage without the Space Mouse.

I do occasionally drag something by mistake when selecting, and I switched to the fat pen grip last week (much more comfortable) that means you don’t have any buttons on the pen. I’ve found that to be a nuisance but it’s still preferable to using a mouse (I have right click set to a button on the Space Mouse). I think the Bamboo line Wacom do could be a cheap way to try it out.

0 Likes

(Xinyouji) #13

I am a Architect, I uses 3D software Rhino on a day to day basis .

I ever an Intuos Pro user and have always been wondering it there would be some type of integration at some stage. Generally speaking, CAD users are more reliant on mouse/keyboard functionality, as well as devices such as those from 3DConnexion.
A sketching ability as an overlay/layer as well as the ability to add notes etc to Rhino documents would be awesome.
Currently I use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro ( affordable Cintiq alternative ) Drawing Tablet With Screen and find that it’s slower than using a mouse. But more comfortable.

My main reason for using the Artist 15.6 Pro is sketching and image manipulation in other software. I only use it with Rhino as well because I’m too lazy to keep swapping between Artist 15.6 Pro and a mouse. In fact I’ve thrown the mouse away completely now.

0 Likes