Catenary using Dynamic Relaxation

Hi @DanielPiker

Thank you for you reply again.

I’m not sure if I fully understand the influence of the stiffness and the loads in the “classic” DRM".

My script is written so, that the sum of the loads is equal to the real weight (L * A * gamma), and the stiffness is E * A. Therefore my solution is independent on A, because they cancel eachother out. The solution is, however, dependent on E, so I do not understand how it is possible to obtain the same catenary with the “classic” DRM as the catenary constructed using the coordinates of both anchor points and the desired length.

I tried to adjust the loads in each step. In my test case it only changed the result by a very small amount due to very small strains in my cable.

Do you have an idea, how to include the desired total length in the loop?

I’d like to try to write a script myself, which solves my problem similar to the Kangaroo2 solver, by adding the desired length as a goal with a very heigh strength. I read your explanation about Kangaroo2 in this topic: How does Kangaroo solver work? - #3 by DanielPiker and I also read the projective dynamics paper (https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/2601097.2601116). You wrote that the Kangaroo2 solver can be seen as a form of the DRM. Does the K2 solver use the explicit time integrating scheme as in the “classic” DRM, or does it rely on solving optimization problems as described in the projective dynamics paper?

Best Regards