Cataloging software does not show images for Rhino files

Hi,
V5,
I am using a file cataloging software to show me the files visually as well as just text (as text is useless at showing the all important visual for easy recognition.) of all those that exist on internal drives and removeable media.
However whilst it displays thumbnails of jpg tif pdf etc, and also for vector prog Affinity Designer (as apparently that prog was easy to do), its internal engine that converts such files to raster, isnt able to deal with vector progs, from Rhino through AutoCAD and Illustrator to Freehand and Corel.

Is there a function in Rhino that will create a raster thumbnail I could associate with a file and put to the developer or even just find that then I see thumbs ?

I stand more chance of getting a solution by the prog latching onto a pixel preview than of the developer incorporating software into his progs software.

I see thumbs in windows explorer for Rhino, in fact large images, but the developer says getting the cataloging prog to work for vector progs is not something he has done, it all takes time and is also about demand and such is not perceived or being asked of him.

So what progs do you users use to catalog Rhino and other CAD files on inbuilt and removeable media so as to see everything without inserting each disc, stick, usb_HDD etc and thumb ?

Steve

The thumbnails for Rhino files ARE bitmaps, there’s nothing to generate. If Windows Explorer can see them, shouldn’t be a big deal for another program to.

Windows File Explorer can view the embedded raster thumbnails (if they exist), because a shell extension is installed for File Explorer.

Here’s a link to an old one for V3 and V4 files:
https://www.rhino3d.com/resources/916

HI, Thanks,
I wont hold my breath on seeing an addition to the prog, meanwhile with all my Rhino files, what cataloging prog do Rhino uesrs use ?
also functional on dwg, dxf, stl, as well as Illustrator, Freehand and Corel , though I dont use Corel or Illustrator and rarely FH, all now is Rhino though I miss the cmyk side of graphics vector, and have Affinity Designer but yet to learn it.

Steve

Windows Explorer

Hi,
David,

The windows Explorer I know, (win7) unless it has a function I am not aware of, displays files on drives attached to the PC, and means searching them one at a time, unless there is a way of searching them all in one go, also its horrendously slow, whilst a cataloging software is seconds, so thats ok if all files are on the PC though speed is an issue, but cataloging software shows all files on media, discs, drives , usb etc that are on the shelf as well, with search functions far more advanced in one search string.

Steve

Well anyone paying their Adobe Tax has access to Bridge, which I’ve used very rarely just because explorer stopped showing HDRs. Otherwise the whole workflow you are describing of cataloging stuff on drives on a shelf is something out out of last century.

1 Like

Hi Jim,
Perhaps I need to be aware of how its currently done. One can get out of touch with progress having work blinkers on day after day after day.
I have a PC with an SSD for C drive and 4 internal 7200rpm HDDs, 2 are data and the other 2 are for backup of that data.
Disk 1 2794Gb drive D and E (data/videos storage and programs downloaded)
Disk 2 1862Gb F H I J (scratch Pshop/video capture/video editing/video storage)
Disk 3 backup for 1
Disk 4 backup for 2
then 16 usb_HDD ranging from 500Gb through to 2Tb as time progresses and size gets larger.
There is no space within the PC for any more HDD’s, and I have no other equipment to put all that external data onto. I cant have in this room anything else that pumps out heat as the tower unit alone raises temperature to 32deg C in summer and is still that at midnight and its almost impossible to work. I cant afford air con. Also servers are made without care for quietness and I must have silent running, my tower is full of QuietPC components. I have no other place to site a server where the fan noise and heat could be overcome. I have run this past a PC engineer and there is no solution here.
The usb HDDs also act as backup of themselves and certain important files on the PC.

So that windows explorer can search on all files at once surely you are suggesting 28Tb goes internal.
When I search in explorer I know of no way to say find waterfall AND wales AND holiday AND .jpg AND folder AND file name contains Andrew AND file name does not contain ANDY and get thumbnails appear with file names, path, mod date, file type, and so on, in a few secs.

My windows explorer takes 5 mins and finds nothing until the very last seconds. AbeMeda takes seconds and does all this and more. I just have to update the drives every so often.

So how should I store 28Tb of data and just what windows explorer can carry out immediate search with multiple criteria ?

Steve