Can't style empty string reverting back to original

For some reason the message “can’t style empty string reverting back to original” keeps appearing in my command history even though I am not working with strings. Is there an explanation why this happens?

Rhino 6

Hello - can you please copy and paste, here, the half dozen or so lines of command history (f2) just before this the next time you see it?

-Pascal

1 Like

Command: _Join
Can’t style an empty string. Reverting back to original
21 surfaces or polysurfaces joined into one closed polysurface.
1 polysurface added to selection.
Command: _ShowEdges
Found 49 edges total; no naked edges, no non-manifold edges.
1 curve added to selection.
Command: Intersect
Found 2 intersections.
Undoing Intersect

@dan - do you have an idea where this message might originate?

-Pascal

My guess is that it is a message file screw up. It is intended to put out some other message but is putting out that one instead. It comes out for me after nearly every command.

This is happening when the Annotation panel - probably text properties - loses focus (link visible to McNeel-only). I doubt this is the desired behavior, but I’m not sure how to reproduce this. Perhaps there are enough clues for @Alain?

That message appearing once would be normal but I can’t imagine the scenario where it continually reappears.

Steps to see the message once.

• create a text annotation
  • select it
  • swipe select the text in the edit control in properties panel
  • delete the text
  • click anywhere in the viewport

At this point the text control looses focus triggering a save of the text value but since empty strings are not allowed the message "Can’t style an empty string. Reverting back to original"1 is printed and the text of the annotation is set back to the value it was last time it was saved.

Now that the value is not empty the message shouldn’t reoccur unless the string is deleted again.
@bigjimslade do you have exact steps to reproduce this? Is it a specific file?

1 bug: instead of “Can’t style an empty string” the message should be “Can’t save an empty string”

It must be related to certain files. I have been converting them from V5 to V6. The one I have open now does not have this issue but in others it is constant—even though I am not working with strings or annotations.

Would you mind sharing one of those files?

I’ll try to dig one up. I converted over 100 files. It appears to be something that starts after time. I had file where I was not seeing but after working with it for while I started getting that message.

I have to take it back. The problem does not appear tied to a file. When I restart Rhino I don’t see the problem. After I use it a while this message starts to come after every command.

I am getting this too. It first appeared when I exported a selected part of a file to a create new one. Then it comes up with every command as the only text, once when you select a tool and a second line when you complete the action. There is no other command line. It has also started happening in the original file and all other open Rhino files too but was not there before the export. It does not seem to hinder the programme working. I closed and restarted Rhino and it is now ok! I am on a currently updated Macbook pro using Rhino6.