Can't start rhino for mac

Ah nostalgia for my Mac SE. That was when the control panel actually made sense. In fact, the whole O/S actually was logical to use! I could show a newbie how to use the mac and file documents and in 5 minutes they would be a power user.
Now it’s some finder preferences in the Finder menu, some under View menu, some in the system preferences, split into different areas… a ‘modern finder’ with crunched file names ', hideous dock, half thought out launchpad…

I have to show staff how to move or copy a file from one folder to another about 5 times a week: Now you want a new folder window so press command N, now open the folder you want, now you have to reposition the windows so the new one isn’t hiding the old window, now resize them so the favourites bar doesn’t take up half the screen, now drag across but make sure not to hover too long or folders start opening… OK, you let go too soon, now the file is dropped into the wrong folder… give me the computer and I’ll do it.

2 Likes

Oh yes… this is the holy truth!

Right now i was able to reproduce this issue with my iMac:

Same Story:

• Rhino license manager initialization failed with error -100
  • Rhino will not run
  • no Log files at all

This might affect older Intel Macs only? Our Mac Pro (cylindric :D) is doing fine but our older Macs (iMac and MacBook Pro, both from 2009) won’t run Rhino with the license manager. Still not testet our older Mac Pro from 2009…

My imac is the pré-Retina one (end of 2013), so not so old…

@JohnM This is interesting…

I realy would like to get started with this program! But still i get the error 100- … Please fix this please!

I have a Macbook pro 2010

@phg_sundin So far as we can currently tell, this error is fairly rare…that said, we are currently working to better diagnose how this error is caused. We’d really appreciate your help though: if you are not doing so already, please work with @JohnM to get a special build that is logging some details that could help us fix this bug.

I tried, download the special build, cannot obtain the log file… If I can help more, you’re welcome :slight_smile:

Maybe a full uninstallation can help?

Tried this several times… No change.

I tried, download the special build, cannot obtain the log file… If I can help more, you’re welcome

Argh. Frustrating. I’m presuming you ran Rhino from the terminal with the special -RhinoLog argument and looked in the Console (as outlined here)…and still no log?

A complete reinstallation might help…but I doubt it.

With your cooperation, it might be necessary for us to “remote desktop” into your system and take a look (we typically use TeamViewer to do this). Unfortunately, we are coming up on the US Thanksgiving holiday and most/all of us will be gone until next Monday.

Wow, sounds great, but since it’s my computer company with confidential files, I’m not sure I’ll be able (and allowed) to do this :confused:

I followed all the steps (install, console etc…) no log.
I installed an older release and it works fine :

Could the log file be located in User/library/Logs/DiagnosticReports?
I found a Rhinoceros_date_computername.crash file here

Maybe if I redo all the process I can find the log file here?

Tried, found nothing in the diagnosticsreports folder, nothing in logs folder:

I’ve tried all the solutions that have been posted on this discourse. Still getting a -100 Error when i run Rhino WIP (rhinoceros_wip_20141124.dmg) . Any solutions out there.

I’ve tried rolling back to - rhinoceros_wip_20141113.dmg - Doesn’t Work
I’ve tried running the new latest release through terminal - Doesn’t work
I’ve tried running it normally by clicking on the App Icon - doesn’t work.
I’ve tried manually uninstalling Rhino and removing Application Support Files & Preference plist file. - Still doesn’t work :frowning:

Is there a release that doesn’t need the license key that we can use for the time being?

I run on a MacBook Pro - 15", 4 GB Ram, Mac OS 10.10 ( Yosemite)
Really Really need to get Rhino to work.
Thanks Again.

Quite serious and comprehensive to dsbaoni !

I am recommending as follows :
Getting rid of ALL your "mcneel"s.
Getting you back to an absolute beginner about Rhino and McNeel’s.
Using Spotlight of Mac (target word is firstly mcneel), you get completely uninstalling of previous one ( the files to delete are the folders and the plist-files, the preferences in Library Folder and ~ Library Folder and etc.) You should throw ALL of them in your trashcan and cleanup.

After re-installing (quite new) and licensing, perhaps you would be able to pick up your templates etc. from your backup HDs.

I wish you get good luck!

1 Like

@asal
tried but without success…

@asai
Tried all of what you suggested but the same error again :frowning:
I’ve also tried starting up rhino from the terminal …still doesn’t work.

Hi McNeel Support and Development Team.

Can’t you have temporary release which doesn’t have the License Manager Issues which gives Error -100?
Earlier I’d rolled back to a previous release and that had worked for me, but that expired on the 25Nov2014.

Atleast that way we can get some of our work done.
Till such time that this problem is sorted out?
Would be really helpful?

Thanks
Dipendra

Dipendra-

Can’t you have temporary release which doesn’t have the License Manager Issues which gives Error -100?

This is a good idea, however, we are not sure that we can fix this problem simply by removing the license controls (I wish we could). We have yet to determine the cause of this -100 error and we are not able to replicate it on our side. We do not believe that it is related to the License Manager, but we are still not 100% certain. We would much rather fix the underlying cause of the -100 error, rather than disable potentially unrelated features.

I know that’s not the most satisfying answer. We are working on this.

Thank you for your patience and help,
-Dan

Hey Dan,
Since it is a holiday weekend, would it be possible to roll out a one or two week expiration build that does not perform license checking for these guys? I could probrobably help on Saturday if you need me.

Dan’s fix mentioned above works! I’m able to open Rhino for mac now!!
Thanks Dan