Can't select split surfaces

I used split surface to cut some holes out of a list of surfaces, however when I try to select the split surface afterwards using list item realized there is an issue with the data structure which results in 4 pieces of the surface to be moved to a different index. I think this is because some of the splits cut some surfaces in half entirely therefore changing the number of surfaces in the list. Is there any way to fix this?
unable to select split surface.gh (221.5 KB)

Thanks,
Omar

Use Shift Paths or Trim Tree.

unable to select split surface_re.gh (224.8 KB)

1 Like

Try using this ‘Tree/List Viewer’ tool instead.

select_split_surface_2020Apr22a.gh (233.6 KB)

P.S. Why are you reconstructing a Boundary surface from edges when you already have that surface?

1 Like

I thought that the issue was that because the breps at the very top were getting cut in half by the cutting shape, this was causing a change in the list structure. Is that not the issue?? All I am trying to do is cut the holes for the columns out of the floors.

Yeah, that’s part of the issue. It looks like you succeeded in cutting the holes except that on the smallest floors at the top, that results in splitting the floors into two or more pieces.

The branches are the result of the geometry before splitting the floors, as you can see with the ‘Tree/List Viewer’ tool:

2 Likes

Yea I can see that! I was trying to find a way to keep the split floor plates as is but manage the data such that all the floor plates would be in the correct order in a single list. But I think I’ll just find a way to cull the top column so that it doesn’t cut the top floors at all that way I can avoid the issue completely. Thank you for the help though.

Here’s a way using Shift Paths and Cull Pattern to leave only the cut pieces you want on each floor. Repeat Data is used to supply a Larger Than value of 0.5 to all floors except the top floor where 0.3 is needed instead.

select_split_surface_2020Apr22b.gh (236.8 KB)

P.S. By the way, Sort is no longer needed in this solution, it can be removed (bypassed).

select_split_surface_2020Apr22bb.gh (236.1 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this works great!