Cant customize Ribbon layout

Hi Elijah,

the old ribbon editor was extremely UI heavy and would have taken a lot of time to make screen-scale-independent. Considering how bad it was, I didn’t want to put in the effort.

What sort of functionality would you like to see in a ribbon editor? Is it primarily a way for you to hide certain components, panels or tabs? Or do you wish to reorganise them? Or …?

Reorganize & hide.
For example in R5 I had redistributed most of the Wombat components into the base GH tabs - Surface, Curve, etc. Combining the Weaver Bird menu with the basic Mesh menu was very helpful. And there’s a bunch of stuff I would just like to not see. In R5 I could NOT get my own user objects to show up in the menus, but now in R6 they do which is great. Right now I have a million tabs I cannot hide b/c I download a lot of plugins out of curiosity. Almost all seem to have one or two things I use regularly - it would be great to be able to pick those, put them on one of the base tabs, and hide the rest… If I want to use a mesh tool I want it grouped with other mesh tools - it’s not particularly useful for me to have to remember where it came from (as grateful as I am to the developers).
Thanks David

3 Likes

An old engineering motto, anything worth doing is worth doing badly. So, leave it screen scale dependent; a ribbon editor is something that will only be used occasionally; in RH5 I used it to personalize, and as Elijah commented, I also have many tabs with only 1 or two components in them, I also would organize the mesh tools with other mesh tools. An editor does not even have to run under GH, it could be stand alone, if it is too UI heavy. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I have the same problem!! How solve it???

Good Sunday to everybody, I ended up here because I have a series of User Object in GH and I would like to compile them in a toolbar or a plug-in.
In this way I can create a package to share/ install in new computers etc…

Is there another way of doing it since the Ribbon layout is not there anymore?

Thanks

Pietro

What do you mean ribbon is not there?

@eliporter, @DavidRutten,
A personal opinion but I think others would agree. Yes implement hide and move of tabs but please do not allow any custom (non mcneel plugin based) components to reside inside the basis tabs. It is so friggin’ confusing. I barely use any plugins so that whatever I create it can run on other machines without installing of 3rd party stuff. I have a lot of plugins installed solely for this forum’s challenges. But if one 3rd party component is in the basis tab (as it is) that makes me use ctrl+alt+click on every component I don’t use frequent and I do not know the icon, or its icon doesn’t look like the others. This is annoying and I want to be sure the base tabs contain only base components.

1 Like

Sorry let me be more specific. In Rhino 5.0 I could open GH and go to File/Ribbon Layout/Create Layout but in Rhino 6 I don`t have a option to Create a new layout anymore.

What is another way to create my own tab in grasshopper and save there a series of User Object?

Mail](https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986) for Windows 10

Exactly, create a new User Object and while creating it there is a category and group entry, enter your own and you’ll create new tab.

2 Likes

Thanks! It works!

1 Like

It would be very nice to at least reorganize the tabs, knowing which ones get thrown to the back is frustrating. I always had issues in the past moving/consolidating and later it would reset itself

2 Likes

Correct.

When teaching GH, it makes a lot of sense to let the students organise and group their User Objects in a dedicated Category.

Option for adding a new category in ribbon bar is needed, where and how is not important…

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.35.04

This strategy works but it is tricky and not documented.

The question is how can we trash a new category after that ?

A simple option for Add/Delete Category somewhere make sense, right ?

1 Like