Cannot downgrade Rhino 6 SDK

Hello

Since the minimum version requirement is linked to the version of the SDK we have installed locally on our development environment, we often switch between different versions of the SDK.
Recently, I updated my SDK to the latest (6.22) and then wanted to go back to the version we use for releasing (6.18). However the installer for 6.18 comes up with an error saying:

Please install Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 before installing this SDK

The same error shows up with the SDK installer for version 6.18, 6.19, 6.20 and 6.21, however the installer for version 6.22 works as expected.

I have since reinstalled Visual Studio (Enterprise) 2017 and restarted the computer, however the issue still persists.
In case this is in any way significant: I also have Visual Studio 2010 and 2019 installed on the same machine.

Does anyone know how we could fix that issue? We have other machines that we can use for public releases, but I would prefer having the ability to do so from all our machines.

@brian - is this something you can help with?

This, unfortunately, is a bug in the installer that only surfaced after Visual Studio 2019 was released. We were able to fix the installer for current builds; previous builds would require some serious surgery to fix.

You could extract the MSI contents using an administrative install to bypass the install checks:

msiexec /a C:\RhinoSdkContents /qb <setup.msi>

This will put everything into the RhinoSdkContents folder (use a different one for each version of the SDK). Then, you can rename your “current” SDK folder and replace it with the extracted ones.

Does that help?

1 Like

That works, thank you.

In case anyone has the same issue here are the full instructions:
Open a Developer Command Prompt, then run

msiexec /a <path-to-msi> /qb TARGETDIR=<path-to-target-folder>

and go to that folder. If you want to keep the previously installed SDK, rename it (it can be found here: C:\Program Files\Rhino 6 SDK\). Then move the Rhino 6 SDK folder extracted from the .msi to C:\Program Files\.