Can V6 actually import .sldprt files?

V5 lists .sldprt files in the open/import dialogue box, but never works. Can anyone confirm if V6 handles them better?

Hi Declan - we’re often, inevitably, somewhat behind the current SW format - probably what you’re running into is that you’re opening a SW file from a later format than is supported. I believe V6 handles SW 2017 files currently. If you think it’s something different, shout, or send me an example…

thanks.

-Pascal

Ah, interesting. It doesn’t look like there’s any way to ‘version down’ during SW export, so this will be an on-going thing. We’re trying to convince our IT dept. to let us install a v6 Beta and SW compatibility would be a big sell.

Right - this makes the whole system extra fragile…

-Pascal

Hello everybody,

is there any option to get the whole structure/scene tree of a .sldprt in rhino? The import works fine for me, but there’s only one layer in rhino but I need the complete structure und don’t want to sort it manually.

Thanks in advance!

Hello - if the import is bringing a nested block, (usually a sldasm, not a sldprt I’d think) and you want all the parts separated out, you can try the attached plug-in to separate all the parts out onto layers-

ExplodeBlocksToLayers.rhp (14.5 KB)

Drag and drop to load it, and run the command ExplodeBlocksToLayers. My guess is you probably want the non-default command line option to put each part on its own layer.

If that is not it, please describe what you want to do with the sldprt…

-Pascal

Hey, thanks for your fast response.

Yes, I assume the CAD Data has in Solid Works a logical scene tree. Layer A Object A, Layer B Object B, Layer Screws contains all the Screws and so on.

Unfortunately Rhino merges the Geometry at one, the default layer, but I want the structure of Solid Works 1:1 in the Rhino Layer-Manager.

I tried your script but nothing happend - perhaps because I’ve only .sldprt-files at the moment.

Hi Pascal,
I tried your plugin and it just merged all of the geometry from the block into single layer.

update: tried it with ‘NewLayerPerBlock’ option and it works fine.

Hi Igor - use the command line option to control this behavior. You probably want each part on its own layer, that is not the default option. Any better?

-Pascal

yes. Just tried, it works ! thanks