Can someone please tell me the command for this?

Hi there,

I am an orthotic technician and am always looking for new ways to improve my orthotic design workflow. I use Rhino 3d as my primary design software. I am curious if someone can tell me what command this person in the video uses to, for lack of better words, “project” an object from a distance onto a target surface (such as the insole surface in the video.) This command happens at exactly 3:04. Any thoughts is appreciated. Here is the link to the video:

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Based on google translate, that is probably a custom script that is used to move certain points in the mesh. If you have grasshopper, you could take the sole mesh and deconstruct it, reconstruct the mesh with the moved points. The movement would be based on the height of the red object at those xy locations.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I don’t know how to use grasshopper but I have found a solution to this that works for my workflow. Thanks again!

can you explain that workflow?

Hi Diego,

I just use the flowalongsrf command. It places the objects on the orthotic surface quite nicely.

1 Like

@DiegoKrause you can also use the command splop. the custom tool might even do just that just a bit more simplified. advantage would be that it works without having to prepare flow surfaces also directly on patch surfaces. you can place the object exact. just see that the radius of the reference and the target sphere is the same best keep both at 1. it might be a little tricky the first time to figure out how it works, but it does exactly this. you also dont have to keep the object directly below it, even though it might make more sense of course in this specific case to keep an overview.

1 Like

Hi Encephalon,

I tried this command as well but it didn’t work right off the bat for me so I experimented more with flowalongsrf command. For flowalongsrf, it can be extremely intuitive as long as you have Record History on so that the output surface responds directly to movements of the input objects.

This video was integral in helping me understand the difference and how to use each command: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csnDCNEgXxM

I think whichever command you use, as long as it is intuitive and predictable. All the best!

i cant disagree more. to be fair i tried splop a few years ago and i was just not getting it. once i understood that clear pattern its much faster because it needs no surfaces to flow off therefor less complicated and more versatile. also more precise out of the box, i can highly recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks for your perspective! I just might give it a shot again :slight_smile:

Interesting how it appears to smoothly deform the mesh at the edges. It must be doing that rather than doing some kind of Boolean, surely?