Can Rhino model any object which polygonal packages like Maya are able to create?

Interpreting a shape idea within the ruleset of Surface-Modelling is a skill and a potentially very creative process in its own right. The same applies when a cabinet maker constructs a niffty apparatus which makes it at all possible to machine-cut a tenon onto an odd shaped staircase railing.

But it’s both not what I can consider the form-finding process itself.

I think that’s where people differ most: Some consider 3D sketching crucial for their work and very much wish for ways to move rapidly – in pretty much the same fashion as one may quickly fill a lot of scrapbook pages with concept sketches. In the Zbrush case I posted one can pretty much say ‘shape first, geometric paradigm later’.

Others start their 3D modelling work later in the process, with a far more mature Design idea already in place and good justification to use precision tools. I would let poor Millennials alone here – sounds like old guys talk.

:o)

For the easy-effortless-entitled crowd, take solace in the fact that they are likely in for a rude awakening, as indicated, in which they are either going to wake-up and shape-up, or get shipped out…

…at least before they run the place.

Generational continuum. Any old guy, nurbs guy, who used to be a hippie - what do you think the ‘old’ said of them back in the day?

The funniest thing in industry is when marketing managers ask you, after the project’s 3D stage is long completed and tool-making underway, if you can please make “some nice looking hand sketches” ; )

It just shows perfectly that the industrial/product design profession is still shrouded in romanticism and genius beliefs from an era long gone.

That’s what I said at the outset - it very much depends on the business sectors one is working in/for and taste is a matter of taste, to paraphrase the late Oscar Wilde : )

Sorry to say, but I look at maybe a hundred portfolios per year, and the trend is obvious, also when reading applicants’ motivational letters. Things are changing.

That’s true, seen it happening more than once : D

SELL SELL SELL

Many definitions exist of what makes a good and successful product. For a profit driven enterprise, typically, such is defined by sales.

Therefore, ‘good’ products are ‘sold,’ rather than ‘designed.’

True art, and genius, manifests when a product is universally held to be a design exemplar, AND a sales leader; an elusive scenario for a multitude of reasons.

Obviously, most designers seek the latter, and settle for the former, in mixed proportions.

Edit: sell at good margins

(Gustavo Fontana) #229

I’m just going to leave this here…

Knuck-headed marketing manager.

Brake arm, sure. $20 chair - we shall see about that.

How is the engine designed for printing? And it works, can it be done at all in SubD?
For example: https://www.ge.com/reports/mad-props-3d-printed-airplane-engine-will-run-year/

(Pascal Golay) #232

I had a ‘professor’ in an ID studio class who encouraged us to develop quirky and ‘arty’ personalities and mannerisms in order to get ahead professionally, as you know, designers. Reputable school, too, though I should add he was not faculty but a ‘visiting instructor’.

-Pascal

I still meet such types at design conferences and fairs.

When you discuss things already common in many industries, for example anything related to digital fabrication, form-finding vs. form-giving, or involving the user in the design process, they cling to their turf saying it should not be allowed to let amateurs soil their patch ; )

(Gustavo Fontana) #234

I’ve met many people in professional settings that I could tell they where kind of shocked and almost spooked by how non-designer and layman I can be. Specially folks in Europe and South America. In US only happen with people that work in real shitty corporations.

Best part is when you tell them that you build your own 3D models AND that you use PCs AND Rhino. It’s like you said you just got out of prision and want to marry their daughter.

One time one self-important dude asked me if I had gotten my Masters in US or Europe and in which school. I almost spilled my drinks and told him “in US if you are good, employment is what you do after college”.

Wankers :crazy_face:

Not allowed ; )

@Lagom, @gustojunk, @hifred
However, I still did not understand something, it’s impossible to model any complex creature (here ZBrush is often used) in NURBS for printing. What then? The output will not be the best quality …

You can model any “creature” with polygons, NURBS surfaces or as a solid model. It simply depends on what requirements, time and budget you have at your disposal.

I agree, but what is the quality at the output (if the model is on polygons)?

As was explained many times above, the denser the polygon mesh, the “smoother” your 3D printed object.

(Tom) #240

if you remodel your cojones, you don’t need to care about highlights and curvature continuity at all, so using Sub-D is totally fine.