Can not offset surface ;(

Hello, I’m quite new to Rhino.

Straight to the question. I was making a shape of a handle, and managed to build a joined poly surface. However, I can not use offsetSrf. I tired many times, but it doesn’t work with a loading cursor. The first thought of the reason is because of the number of surface isocurves, as it goes beyond 6000. If it isn’t a issue, please tell me how to make this shape into a soild status.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:handle rear.3dm (9.3 MB)

The number of control points and/or the number of surfaces could be the problem. The shape appears to be relatively simple and a much simpler model should be possible.

How was the model you posted created?

first I created two curves one for the above, the other for the bottom. Then I made surface with sweep 2 rails with 3 cross sections (left and right the same, mid part different). With that, I duplicated edges + created pipe + boolean split + extract isocurve + blendcurve + sweep2rails + trim to work on the rest of the fillets, which didn’t work well with fillet edge). Then the surfaces could not be joined, so I rebuilt some of the surfaces with sweep 2 rails again with the polysurface edges.

It’s quite hard to explain my amaturish process… Could you tell me how to make this shape without too many isocurves(simpler model)?

I assume you mean the number of control points when you talk about isocurves. The number of control points is important, not the visual isocurves.

Your absolute tolerance is 0.00001 mm for a part which is 600 mm long. Usually an absolute tolereance between 0.1 and 0.0001 is preferred, and for you model a tolerance of 0.01 should be good. Too small a tolerance can lead to an excessive number of control points. https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/faqtolerances

Can you post a .3dm file with your curves and intermediate steps? You can put the curves on one layer, th pipes on a second layer, and so forth.

It took several steps to make the final output, but now I only have the final curves.( I even doubt it if this is the real final state of the curves) I don’t think this would help you to understand the process. I could try to replay the process, but right now I don’t have enough time. I’ll be back in a few hours and try it. Also, I think I might find the solution if I change the tolerance settings. Before trying it again, I’ll change it to 0.01. Thank you a lot!! :slight_smile: handle rear_2.3dm (14.1 MB)

How did you create the curves? The number of control points is many, many more than is necessary.

Are you trying to match an existing part or is this a new design? Will a physical part be created from the data? If so how will it be made?