Can I control Environment rotation with a script?

@Holo, did this code help you?

I hope it will, tha last week my family had the cold and yesterday I got struck, so my mind clouded and wasn’t working at full speed… I’ll see if I can cook it together tonight :slight_smile:

Ah, ok. No hurries (: Tend to the family and your brain cells. I can wait. (I think).

1 Like

Ugh… I seriously lack the basic skills to understand this level of coding… :frowning:
Jumping from Rhinoscript to Python was tough enough so sorry for the basic questionbecause I don’t know how to querry …

When I try the following then I get an error in line 4:
Message: ‘getset_descriptor’ object has no attribute ‘FindChild’

import Rhino
re = Rhino.RhinoDoc.CurrentEnvironment
print re
rt = re.FindChild("texture")
print rt

Is this V5 or V6? For the latter I definitely can try creating a Python script, for the former you’ll have to call out to the oldies, maybe @pascal .

Hi @Holo,

you might look here, it works in V5.

_
c.

Hi @nathanletwory,

could you file a bug for V6 please. My script above also works in V6 but when the dialog to enter the env rotation is open while running the script, the field for the rotation does not update. If i go one step back to the material controls and then return to the texture controls, it is updated.

_
c.

Sounds like Skylight: HDRI Intensity setting discrepency?, in which case it is fixed and will be in next BETA.

@clement, note that the RenderEnvironment.CurrentEnvironment method you use in your script uses obsoleted method. You should instead use RhinoDoc.CurrentEnviroment to access either ForBackground, ForLighting or ForReflectionAndRefraction.

It is for V6, and a good start is just to know how to access either ForBackground, ForLighting or ForReflectionAndRefraction :slight_smile:

I am working on the slider UI now, and will probably hit my head against a few walls there too, but we’ll see.

Without testing, just thinking out loud (because doing some fun Sunday evening/night coding with wrapping ToonBsdf node), I’d use the scriptcontext to access current doc: scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForBackground I think I actually use that in one of my regression.py scripts for testing changes in a larger data set.

Thanks, perfect!
Happy coding!

import scriptcontext
print scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForBackground
print scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForReflectionAndRefraction
print scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForLighting

Returns this on a new document:

None
<Rhino.Render.NativeRenderEnvironment object at 0x000000000000002B [Rhino.Render.NativeRenderEnvironment]>
<Rhino.Render.NativeRenderEnvironment object at 0x000000000000002C [Rhino.Render.NativeRenderEnvironment]>

@nathanletwory, as i wrote above my script is for Rhino 5 not 6. If i try to access below in V5:

scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForBackground

it returns an error:

Message: ‘RhinoDoc’ object has no attribute ‘CurrentEnvironment’

When i run my example from above in V6 i do not get any deprication warning. It may be useful für us scripters to be informed like for other outdated code snippets.

_
c.

Hi @Holo, by default a solid color background is used. If you change that to “360° Environment” you should get returned something for

scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForBackground

_
c.

1 Like

Ok, so I finally took time to sit down and fiddle with this.

And this gives a 360 spin of the environment.

import scriptcontext
import System
import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs

print "ForBackground= "+str( scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForBackground )
print "ForReflectionAndRefraction= "+str( scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForReflectionAndRefraction )
print "ForLighting= "+str( scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForLighting )

re=scriptcontext.doc.CurrentEnvironment.ForReflectionAndRefraction

rt = re.FindChild("texture")
print "RenderTexture= "+str( rt )

azimuth = System.Convert.ToDouble( rt.GetParameter("azimuth") )

print  azimuth

newAzimuth = 0

Rad=6.2831853
steps= 20

for i in range (steps):
    newAzimuth += Rad/steps
    rt.SetParameter("azimuth", newAzimuth)
    rs.Redraw()

But on my systems this laggs instead of giving a steady flow of frames. Do you know what causes that? (gtx1070, so it has enough horse power)

Looks smooth to me, especially if you use more than 20 steps with smaller increase, here a version with a full 360° using a 1° rotation over 360 steps.

Ok, thanks. On my other machine it looks smoother but the moment I move the mouse it goes to a halt, then starts again when I stop moving it.

That is most likely because the script runs on the main thread.

:expressionless: …I wish I understood what that meant and that I had the knowledge to use that info…
Anyway, it is only a step on the way to make a slider. I have the slider hooked up, but I have no idea on how to make it interactive.

Also I get the slider to return whole number (int’s) it seems.
(As a workaround I’ll rewrite it to use degrees instead of radians for now)

ETO slider - rotate environment.py (3.6 KB)

Edit: Here is the degree version:
ETO slider - rotate environment - degrees.py (4.0 KB)

EDIT 2: I just updated the script so it gives an error message if no environment is sat for reflection.
(I have no idea how to find the GLOBAL environment value, only the custom ones)

If you want to see changes while dragging the slider you’ll have to create a modeless dialog. Here some sample to get started:

1 Like

Shoot… this is getting more and more complex.
I wish it was as easy as making scripts in Unity.
There the UI is added automatically as the scripts are tied to the project.
Maybe something for Rhino V8? :slight_smile:

I have to put this project on hold for a few days, but thanks a lot for the help so far! I have gotten some progress and learned a few things too.