Can a "classification yard" component be available in GH2?

(thomas) #1

The following entry

has brought to light an interesting issue about the clustering process in GH2. The issue of interest is the manual process involved in the clustering in a GH definition. From my experience, this process can be a bit tedious. The following example illustrates this perception.

spring before (17.4 KB) generates two sets of springs with different diameters. As shown on the GH viewport, they are 2 sets of components, one for each set of springs. In order to have less components and less wires, it is usual to create a cluster “spring” that will factor both sets of components into one component “spring”.
Let’s factor the first set

In my opinion, two issues can be considered

• the cluster have duplicate entries.
  • replacing the second set of component by a new cluster instance will be a bit hairy (lot of plumbing work ahead)

This is where a “classification yard” component could be usefull. To create a “classification yard”, you first select a set of wire. For instance by dragging the mouse from right to left with the Right Mouse Button pressed as show in the following figure.

• for each wire selected from one component to one or more component, there is one input and one ouput in the “classification yard” component
  • the order of the input and output of the “classification yard” can be edited by the user for visual purposes (“detangle”)

Below is a mockup. The group below would be the “classification yard”.

Notice that this component is purely visual (not creation/transformation of Rhino objects)
If this component is available, I surmised this would mitigate both issues stated above and therefore ease the “plumbing” part of the clustering process.
Clustering could be done the following way

• For each set of component that will be clustered or replaced by a cluster, select all incoming wires and create a “classification yard” component. Do the same for all outgoing wires.
  • cluster the first set of component by including the input/output classification yards
  • for each set of component to be replaced by the cluster, copy the cluster near the input/ouput classification yards of the set
  • do the “plumbing”

Perhaps you already know and it’s not exactly the same as the “classification yard” you’re talking about, but GH 1.0 already has a feature called “wire relay object”.wire relay

(thomas) #3

Hi Kim, thank you for your answer. Indeed, that would fit the need. However, I did not find this “wire relay object” component in my version of GH (mac). Under which tab is it ? Thanks.

Like HS_Kim said, it’s on GH 1.0 (under Params > Util). The GH version that runs on RH5 (Win and Mac) is GH 0.9x.

(thomas) #5

Thanks for the info. I look forward to 1.0 on macos then.

(Michael Pryor) #6

or just double click any wire to make it.

(Michael Pryor) #7

You can check this out:

(David Rutten) #8

And double click any relay to unmake it.

(Michael Pryor) #9

I’ve also been using them as a kind of hack to easily delete wires rather than going to the components to disconnect :smiley:

Double click make relay > select > delete. Nice inadvertent feature.