CAM plugin

I’m exploring the possibility of writing a CAM plugin. It would basically need to look a a contour, be able to determine if an entity is a circle or an arc and it’s radius. I think I can figure out that part.

What I’m unsure of is how to plot XY coordinates around a contour. If a segment is a straight line, it would be plotted with a start and end point. If a segment is not a straight line, it would be represented by short line Yemenis strung together. If a segment is not a straight line but is try arc, it would be represented using an arc command.

This would output standard G codes.

G1 = linear move
G2 = arc move clockwise
G3 = Arc move counter clockwise

A G1 would look like G1X5Y10.

An arc move looks like G02X2Y0I0J-2

X2Y0 is the end point of the arc. I0 is the X arc center relative to the arc start point and J-2 is the Y center relative to the start point.

I know this a pretty broad scope question, but I’m just at the starting point right now. Given this information, what would be the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Check the Rhino help file for the SimplifyCrv command, which replaces each curve segment that has the geometry of a line or an arc with a true line or arc. Perhaps this is what you need. I’m sure there is SDK access to this…