CAM on Mac

I’ve tried a few times to get into Fusion 360, and the workflow feels just so foreign. The “all in the cloud” model is also something I have an issue with for data security and also being able to work easily offline.

I haven’t even had a chance to try using it just for CAM. Is it possible to import a complete Rhino model and just use Fusion for CAM?

Yes. I’ve done that a few times.

Here’s a recent thread over on the ZBrush forum about Mac based CNC
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?209812-Z-2-CNC-Sketchbook&p=1222057&infinite=1#post1222057

yeah, that’s possible.

also, if you export from Rhino as .step, it will open in Fusion without needing to upload the .3dm for conversion. (ie- it can be offline and the model doesn’t need to be on cloud)

2 Likes

The issue with Fusion is both the software maker being changing their products in the wind as they go - absolutely no basis to build a production business on (one day you are working on a project, the next day your tools are non-functional as the software maker has migrated to a different platform).

I see Fusion 360 as a great way for hobbyists to get started at no or very little cost to learn about CAx but nothing more.

I really hope that we will see Rhino evolving with more production oriented modules in the future - I’d love to have a CNC / 3D-printing module DIRECTLY out of Rhino for Mac without having to jump hoops moving data into other software solutions, often having to resort to Windows based software for certain tasks.

Production based software solutions HAVE TO work ANY time - online / offline whenever that work needs to be done. It simply cannot be dependent on someone else’s server or an internet connection.
This is were all the cloud based solutions completely fall flat on the face.

3 Likes