Calculating volume of instance references

@dale, thank you, I opted for a github library that I could bend to make binary stl’s, works well enough. (we produce roughly 15000 parts per eannum, each part with up to 6 components saved as stls, ascii was not an option).

Question if i may, I noticed a bug in my output regarding extracting volume from the block instance, in all cases the volume of any iteration of a block instance was always the same, the volume of the original instance (idef)?, not the iteration.(iref)?

Am I correct to assume that given I can already extract the volume of the original(idef), and knowing the scaling factors I can deduce a fairly accurate volume by multiplying out the scale factors, or is there a way to extract the volume of the scaled geometry in (iref)?the iterated instance I am working with at runtime, I cannot see a way to do so, a duplicate and volumecompute of the iref jsut gives the original (idef) volume again.

Many thanks!

@ChristopherBotha - I’ve moved this to a new topic, as it doesn’t relate to the original post.

– Dale

Hi @ChristopherBotha,

If it’s any help, the Volume command makes it’s calculation from the transformed instance definition geometry.

– Dale

Hi Dale, Thanks, and I might be doing it wrong, and probably not clear in my description, ill try again.

I am using Volume.Compute, I happen to know the orginal geom the original block have a volume of say 200, the reference geometry has since scaled factor 8,8,8, but when i duplicate the geometry in that one, and run Volume.Compute on it I still get 200, the original, block volume, from the reference. No need to reply, I will post example code, then tag you again, probably I’m just doing a silly thing in code.