Cage parameters

(Adrial 3ddesign) #1

Hi, I am using cage and cageedit a lot for modeling glasses, but I always run into the same problem. Whenever I set cage parameters (x point count, y point count and z point count) it sets them differently from what I’ve set them. For instance: I set XPointCount to 16 and the other two to 4 and it sets 16 to Y. And that’s not all, it seems like it’s random, because after that, I draw exactly the same cage and I try setting 16 to Y this time, and I would think that it would set 16 to x now, because maybe it’s reversed for some reason, but no, it sets them to y again. Than I try to do the same thing again, so I set it to y again, and it sets to y again, it’s like rhino doesn’t wanna let me set 16 points to X.

Is there anything I’m missing here?

(David Cockey) #2

Which option are you using to create the Cage? If you are using BoundingBox are you using World or CPlane coordinates? Remember that the orientation of the CPlane coordintates usually differ between view windows.

(Adrial 3ddesign) #3

First of, thank you for the reply.

I’m using boundingBox, but I don’t know how to choose either World or CPlane, I’m not sure if I understand this part of rhino just yet. But I am drawing it always in the same way: first two corners in the top view (bottom right corner first) and than I set the height in the front view. And that’s what’s weird to me, because I always make sure to draw it the exact same way as I just described, and I still get different results practically every time. I hope that gives enough information.

Have a nice day!

(David Cockey) #4

The World coordinate system in Rhino is “fixed” and never changes. There are also CPlane coordinate systems which are defined relative to the World system. The unit length is the same in both but the location of a CPlane system can be anywhere in the World system, and CPlane system can be rotated relative to the World system.

The views have different orientations relative to the World coordinate system. In the Top view the World x is to the right, World y to the top of the screen and World z out of the screen. In the Front view the World x is to the right, World y is into the screen and World z is to the top of the screen. In the Right view the World x is out of the screen, World y is to the right of the screen and World z is to the top of the screen.

Each view has a default CPlane system, with x to the right, y to the top of the screen and z out of the screen. The Perspective view uses the same CPlane system as the Top view by default.

Back to Cage and CageEdit. The BoundingBox can be set in either the CPlane or World systems. If World is used then the settings for XPoint, YPoint and ZPoint correspond to the the World x, y and z directions and are independent of the view port which is active when the bounding box is created. However if CPlane is used then the settings for XPoint, YPoint and ZPoint correspond to the x, y and z directions of the CPlane in the view port which is active when the bounding box is created.

CPlanes are important in Rhino. http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/seealso/sak_cplanes.htm They can changed to align with model features and help with modeling.

(Adrial 3ddesign) #5

Awesome, thank you so much for all the information, this will help a lot!