C# Editor Alternative to VisualStudio

Hello,
I am afraid this might be kind of stupid question, but…
I wanna try out stuff in C# at work, but for the Professional version of Visual Studio I need a license.
Can I use SharpDevelop or MonoDevelop as well. I could not find any information on that topic, so I thought someone here might help me?

Thanks a lot!

Visual Studio Community is free for most developers, and works great writing C# plug-in for Rhino.

– Dale

Hi @dale,
I would like to test it on my work laptop as it’s way better than mine at home.
So our admins told me they are not allowed to install it (which is true, as we’d need an enterprise license)

Tobi

Hi @tobias.stoltmann,

From here:

For organizations

An unlimited number of users within an organization can use Visual Studio Community for the following scenarios: in a classroom learning environment, for academic research, or for contributing to open source projects.

For all other usage scenarios:
In non-enterprise organizations, up to five users can use Visual Studio Community. In enterprise organizations (meaning those with >250 PCs or >$1 Million US Dollars in annual revenue), no use is permitted beyond the open source, academic research, and classroom learning environment scenarios described above.

You and your organization will need to interpret this.

I’ve heard of others using SharpDevelop - not many of us (McNeel) have experience with this.

– Dale

Thanks @dale.
I tried SharpDevelop and it returns some error when I try to compile.
I think I gonna try to talk to our admins tomorrow and hope they will be in a good mood. :slight_smile: