Bye bye BackgroundBitmaps

If we are going to impact documentation, why not change the command name so that is better matches reality? This seems like something @mary and @margaret should comment on.

I have already moved the Userā€™s Guide tutorial about tracing images to using PictureFrame instead of BackgroundBitmap. Somewhere along the way, Pascal suggested a name that included the word ā€œimage.ā€ I thought this was a good name, but now I canā€™t remember it. For the simple example in the Userā€™s Guide, Iā€™ll bet just swapping out the command name will do the trick.

@margaret, did you get a chance to look at this version of the prototype documentation for a new command, ImagePlane.

I have no idea why we are moving away from PictureFrame as a name. Those two works are ordinary works. Image & Plane are both geeky words. Do you go out with your camera to take some images? What do you put on your wall - ā€œplanesā€ ? If anything, I would ditch the ā€œFrameā€ part and just call it ā€œPictureā€ - in the same way that a curve is a curve, and a surface is a surface.

My first suggestion was ā€œImageā€.

I guess I donā€™t think of a drawing, site map, or sketch as picture.

I do. For me, an image is something much more technical. It always has to have something to do with optics.

Iā€™m going to agree with Andy on this one. Just checked and Word uses the term Picture

Also - the question of whether it should render by default - and printā€¦I say yes. It should do both. Because if something renders or prints and the user decides they donā€™t want it, they will think ā€œhow do I turn this offā€. If something fails to render or print, they will think ā€œthis is brokenā€.

Having per-object ā€œRenderā€ and ā€œPrintā€ properties would be an excellent way to solve this. They would be very easy to implement, and would be a very useful feature.

And hiding them is not the same - because then they donā€™t show in the display either - which is the point. You want them to display, but not get output.

I have always found this to be a lack with detail viewport edges. I donā€™t want them to print, but I want to see them in the viewport.

• Andy

Incidently, the ā€œPictureā€ material type is in process. We should have something checked into V6 pretty soon. I think its a good idea even without the change to PictureFrame.

Yes - this is correct. Thatā€™s actually exactly the reason it was added.

Implementing ā€œalways at the backā€ is going to be tricky for renderers.

The fact that PictureFrame in V5 shows edges is, in my opinion, a bug. It did not do this in V4. The imlementation is different - and in V4 it is, in my opinion, more pure.

In V4 the PictureFrame command sets the display mode for the object to be ā€œRenderedā€. V5 has a ā€œhackā€ that causes ā€œspecialā€ objects (created by the Pictureframe command) to have specific display mode attributes that replicated the default rendered mode. But this seems to - for some reason - include isocurves and edges. I donā€™t think these should appear under any circumstances.

In other words the discussion about setting isocurves to -1 by default is moot. They shouldnā€™t show at all because they should display as if they are in rendered mode. ie - no wires at all.

Yes - @andy has been bogged down with other stuff. Engaging now.

Basically, I see no reason why all of this shouldnā€™t be just added to the picture frame command, and the UI carefully honed along the lines of what Iā€™ve been doing with the new material UI.

Picture is fine with meā€¦ it was the "frameā€™ bit that seemed most confusing.

Thanks Andy, That was the main feedback I was looking for. I could not come up with a better way to cleanup the UI.

Good, I thought there might be some major technical reason that I didnā€™t understand. Iā€™ll make sure this is written up as a bug. Who can fix this?

Iā€™m not sure how important this is.

Also, I donā€™t know where it would be in the UI. @stevebaer suggested that MoveToBack should work on Picturesā€¦ and any other planer objectā€¦ some work involved.

Who can fix this?

Jeff

Nor am I - I doubt anyone will want to do this. But it will be case where it looks different in the UI than in the rendering.