Bump maps not rendering in raytraced mode

Hopefully this picture explains my problem: I’ve added a bump map to a material. The bumps show up fine in Rhino Render and Rendered viewport mode, but not in Raytraced.

Frustratingly, I’m having the exact same problem in V5 with Neon&Brazil.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

I’ve tried normal maps instead of B/W height map, and in V5 I tried Brazil procedural textures. All did the same thing, though I could swear I got it to work briefly in V5 yesterday, but alas its not working today.

(I’ve also tried .tga and .jpg file types, as well as CPU and GPU processing)

I will have a look soon

/Nathan

Thanks Nathan,

I’ve tried this on my work computer and can’t reproduce the issue. So its just something about my home computer. Very weird.

Works fine on this PC:

I’ve used the same texture file, I copied it onto my USB hard drive, with the exact same path. Why would it work on this PC and not on my home one?

-Gavin

OK, I’ve figured out how to reproduce this, and I’m not sure whether I’m doing it wrong, but there is definitely a disparity between Rendered and Raytraced mode with large objects. The reason it worked on my work PC this morning was because I just quickly drew a sphere which was small, around 30mm diameter, and the bump mapping works as expected. But with a large sphere, around 3 metres diameter, the Rendered viewport looks right, but the Raytraced doesn’t.

Weirdly, Neon does the same thing in V5.

30mm sphere, Raytraced:

30mm sphere, Rendered:

3000mm sphere, Rendered:

3000mm sphere, Raytraced:

Hmmm, this seems to be nature of bump mapping? Blender does the same thing. At least in Blender, there is a strength input on the bump node, so it can be corrected.

It still doesn’t explain why Rendered and Raytrace differ…

A bit late but still:

if you want to get useful bump mapping on a 3000mm object you should change model units to meters instead.

There is unfortunately no good way to control strength yet, at least not through regular GUI.