Building height

Hi! I downloaded the osm file of the city of Barcelona in Open Street Maps to get the building breps in 3D with the plugin ELK, but i only get two 3d buildings and the rest are planar surfaces. I’m not sure if i’m doing something wrong or it’s a lack of information because i think that the city centre of a city like Barcelona has to have all these height information, but i don’t know…

1 Like

It’s possible that there is no more height information. What you can do is filtering out the amount of floors, multiply it with a floor height and extrude the 2d shape. But I’m quite sure that there are still buildings left without amount of floors or height information. You can extrude them according the neighbors height or randomly.
Did it once for city’s like New York, London, Berlin, Tel Aviv, Moskau etc. I never got an osm with all the height informations.

1 Like

A quick check shows that several buildings in Barcelona do have the Level information (i.e. not Height) in OpenStreetMap - then again, it varies a lot across town.
You can check yourself by going to OpenStreetMap, sign up, and click Edit.

1 Like

Osm is quite lacking on height data, the approach @tim.stark suggests is one I have used in the past and it works quite well (I did this in Berlin -even there almost no height data).
Some bigger Citys have free 3d models available maybe you get lucky, I couldn’t find one with a quick search