Bug?: Unable to Turn Off Layer with SubLayers

I’ve seen this once before many months ago, and now it’s popped up again. I can’t turn off the visibility of a Layer that has two sub-layers (both of which are turned off. Quitting and restarting Rhino did not help. Anybody else seeing this behavior occasionally?

The layer in question is “Scheme A”. In case it helps, I recall both the prior time and this time I had renamed the layers after objects were placed in them.

@dan: File is a client project and will be uploaded to your server, rather than attached here.

UPDATE: Restarting computer did nothing. Like before, only after selecting a number of different layers was I then able to turn off the desired layer. Definite (but probably rare) bug somewhere.

~Dave

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0.2 (5A865)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.5 (Build 14F27)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.1)
com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.3.1)
com.karios.driver.DuetDisplay (1)
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv (4.3.20)
com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs (313.2.12)
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB (4.3.20)
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt (4.3.20)
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp (4.3.20)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro8,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema HD (99dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Logitech: USB Receiver
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.25
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 6x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: High

Thanks @DigiFabLab

Hrmmmm. I’m not seeing your upload…did you already attach it?

Yep. I sent it from your upload page. If you don’t get it in a day or two, let me know and I’ll send it again. ~Dave

@dan: Just sent it again. It went to Tech@McNeel. File is now renamed “For_Dan_Layer_Select_Problem” ~Dave

I see the file. Thanks Dave! I will investigate soon and get back to you.

David-

Sorry again for the slow uptake on this one. I’ve been toying around with the file you supplied (thanks again!), seeing if I could reproduce this. As I expected from your report, I cannot.

One thing I did notice, however…the child-layer Scheme B was active as the current layer when I opened the file. (I didn’t know if this was a didactic choice on your part or not). Clicking the visibility lightbulb of a parent layer that has active child-layers is not going to work. This is expected behavior: you cannot hide your current layer. Rhino for Windows warns you if you try to do this…

…Rhino for Mac does not tell you that you can’t; it just doesn’t let you. I don’t know which is better (probably Rhino for Windows behavior, but with an added Checkbox for “Don’t tell me this again.”)

But, somehow, I suspect you are reporting a different bug.

Jah. Different bug. Happened again today.

Really random and, fortunately, fairly infrequent. If I select a number of different layers than the desired one, eventually I can get the desired result. I’d file this one away and see if anyone else reports this or if I can repeat and describe it better. Thanks for looking, though! ~Dave

Got it. I’m tracking this in MR-2376. If someone can reproduce this, we’ll take another, closer look. Thanks.